M1TE - Tile Editor

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
dougeff

M1TE - Tile Editor

Post by dougeff » Sat May 18, 2019 8:18 pm

This is a program I'm working on to make palettes, tiles, and tilemaps for SNESdev. It's for Mode 1 only. It's a work in progress, and I was hoping to get feedback on how it works, and what can be improved. It is .NET so it should work on non-windows OS with MONO.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4f7q ... o/M1TE.zip
M1TE.png
Edit - I realized that the priority checkbox in this picture says "don't use", but I did get it functional after this was taken.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: M1TE - Tile Editor

Post by Drew Sebastino » Sat May 18, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm away from my computer and will be for the next couple of days so I can't test this, but thank you so much for doing this.

I'm curious, when you say it's restricted to mode 1, do you mean the program is only capable of dealing with 4bpp and 2bpp layers, or does it go beyond that?

dougeff

Post by dougeff » Sun May 19, 2019 5:23 am

Yes. It does not make 8bpp graphics.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Sun May 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Excellent program. The fact it focuses on mode 1 is also a huge plus, IMO; mode 1 BG3 (2bpp) is neglected in pretty much every other graphical editor available (read: YY-CHR's 2bpp NES mode does not use the same format as the mode 1 BG3 on SNES).

For 8bpp graphics, a la mode 3, a 256-colour-indexed PNG with SuperFamiconv should work just fine. I recommend sticking with the "more planar" modes (0, 1, 2, 5, maybe 6) would be good. I wouldn't touch mode 7 with a ten foot pole.

dougeff

Post by dougeff » Sun May 19, 2019 3:03 pm

I believe YY-CHRs 2bpp GB mode is the same as SNES 2bpp.

psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen » Sun May 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Thank you a lot. SNES is definitely overdue for a tile map creation tool. The only thing I think should be improved is the way you select colors. It should only use 32 levels per channel, and either a slider or up/down buttons, so it's easier to fine-tune the palette.

psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen » Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 pm

It's a nice thing that I have several tile sets I've made that I didn't get to implement yet, because of how tedious making tile maps are. Your program is helping a lot.