I made a multi-function SNES PCB

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
poorstudenthobbyist

Re: I made a multi-function SNES PCB

Post by poorstudenthobbyist »

Yes, the addresses just go up sequentially, the only skip is the one for HiROM.
Kayumba

Post by Kayumba »

poorstudenthobbyist wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:08 pm Yes, the addresses just go up sequentially, the only skip is the one for HiROM.
which one ?
where can I find info?
poorstudenthobbyist

Kayumba

Post by Kayumba »

poorstudenthobbyist wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:42 pm Should be on my explainer article: https://thepoorstudenthobbyist.com/2019 ... planation/
Sorry but I didn't find info on your explainer about pinout difference between Lorom and Hirom for SRAM 1024Kbit .
On your explainer you talking about decoder for HiROM and LoROM.
Do pinout stays sequentially for SRAM and its only changes on decoder pinout ?
poorstudenthobbyist

I don't talk about the 1024K on my explainer because that page was meant more to explain the general function of the cartridge, how it works, and my findings while designing my boards - not to give explicit instructions for a design. The differences between accessing 64K and 256K SRAM chips are good to talk about just because they have different control requirements and options. But the 1024K chip is identical to the 64K in terms of access and control, so I didn't bother adding it.

The memory map is definitely a factor in why address pins from the console are skipped for accessing the proper address on the SRAM on HiROM. For example, what would happen if the SRAM A13 and A14 pins were directly connected to CPU A13 and A14, and the game wanted to access the memory stored below $6000?