SNES microgame tool (WIP)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
NovaSquirrel

SNES microgame tool (WIP)

Post by NovaSquirrel » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:04 pm

"Gameplay" demo

I dug up my NES microgame experiment and I've been working on retargeting it to SNES, and it's way further along than that project ever got. I'm still using Blockly for the programming, but for the GUI I'm now just using Tiled. I don't enjoy working on GUIs so it's convenient that there's a level editor that already works fine.

Instead of defining metatiles or palettes or anything you just define however many Tiled tilesets (using 15 color + transparent sprite sheets) and draw a map, and it will automatically create metatiles and reuse graphics tiles where it can, using flips where possible, only inserting things that you actually use.

The scope is still intended to be very small, simple action games, like you might make in The Games Factory. I'm still designing everything so that I can eventually pack a bunch of different microgames together to make a proper WarioWare-style game from them (so things like metatile definitions are accessed through pointers), but I still want to provide a lot more power than WarioWare DIY does.

The code for everything is up at GitHub if anyone wants to peek around or help out, though you're going to need to follow the instructions for setting up lorom-template's build environment and you'll want to py -3 tools/makegame.py to update the game from the Tiled and Blockly files. Keep in mind that everything is very early and rough, and a lot of commands don't work yet. There is no guarantee that any missing features will be implemented any time soon! This is just something I'm working on for fun and for free, so please be respectful of that and be patient, and understand that some things are going to be outside of the project's scope (unless you want to implement them yourself).
Attachments
lorom-template.sfc
(256 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

calima

Re: SNES microgame tool (WIP)

Post by calima » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:03 am

Oh my, there goes that poor guy's kickstarter haha.

NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:08 am

calima wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:03 am
Oh my, there goes that poor guy's kickstarter haha.
I think there's definitely a lot of room for a higher end and friendlier game dev tool that's actually built for full-size games. The way mine works definitely does not scale very well past tiny projects, since that's what it's intended for.

Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:57 pm

That's a pretty cool idea. I already have lots of nostalgia with making WarioWare: DIY games, music, and manga on DSi.
NovaSquirrel wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:04 pm
I'm still using Blockly for the programming, but for the GUI I'm now just using Tiled. I don't enjoy working on GUIs so it's convenient that there's a level editor that already works fine.
So does your engine read JSONs, Lua, or CSVs directly or do you need to convert them in order for them to work with the engine?
NovaSquirrel wrote:
Instead of defining metatiles or palettes or anything you just define however many Tiled tilesets (using 15 color + transparent sprite sheets) and draw a map, and it will automatically create metatiles and reuse graphics tiles where it can, using flips where possible, only inserting things that you actually use.
You don't plan to support 2BPP graphics for layer 3 or mode 0, do you?
NovaSquirrel wrote:
The scope is still intended to be very small, simple action games, like you might make in The Games Factory. I'm still designing everything so that I can eventually pack a bunch of different microgames together to make a proper WarioWare-style game from them (so things like metatile definitions are accessed through pointers), but I still want to provide a lot more power than WarioWare DIY does.
Waligie Bros DX on SNES confirmed?

I like the idea of a SNES WarioWare, though. I remember seeing PinoBatch's WarioWare: DIY video, and it'd be funny if the microgames were ported to SNES.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.

NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:24 am

Nikku4211 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:57 pm
So does your engine read JSONs, Lua, or CSVs directly or do you need to convert them in order for them to work with the engine?
It directly uses Tiled TMX and TSX files. I wanted the whole process to be as streamlined and automated as I can get it, so no manual conversion of anything if I can help it. I intend to get it where the makefile automatically runs makegame.py too, later.
Nikku4211 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:57 pm
You don't plan to support 2BPP graphics for layer 3 or mode 0, do you?
Eventually, though I don't think there'll be much you can do with the extra backgrounds aside from just having extra parallax. Or having some sort of large object that the game controls, which would definitely be an applicable use to a microgame.

Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:55 pm

I totally support your SNES tool builds Nova. Just please make everything user friendly like Lunar Magic. You just open up a program and start building stuff and you can expand upon whats already there.

The key to making great tools is to make it user friendly.