Why don't we have a SNES Game Jam?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
secondsun

Re: Why don't we have a SNES Game Jam?

Post by secondsun »

Nikku4211 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:16 pm
Yeah, though what's the chance that we'll have any game entry get a good score on 'technical contribution'?

I've never seen SNES homebrew games try to be anything more than what they are. SNES homebrew developers aren't demoscene coders, after all, they don't aim to impress.
"Here's tic tac toe with source" -> Probably gets low marks for "technical contribution" because that is already a wiki tutorial.
"Here's tic tac toe, played using a super scope, and a tutorial on how the scope runs" -> Probably high marks because there isn't much of that.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

secondsun wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:35 am "Here's tic tac toe with source" -> Probably gets low marks for "technical contribution" because that is already a wiki tutorial.
"Here's tic tac toe, played using a super scope, and a tutorial on how the scope runs" -> Probably high marks because there isn't much of that.
Still don't think anything as technologically interesting as the bottom is going to be any common in the jam at all. There's probably only going to be 1 or 2 entries as technically contributing as that, if not more.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
drludos

Post by drludos »

It's cool to see the competition is coming to shape!

Regarding to the last rules set, I really love that there will be a theme so all the entries are "unified" or have something in common besides being SNES games. I think the timeframe (4 months from June to September) is perfect. It's long enough to have large entries with dedicated teams, and to also attract smaller entries from solo devs who will be able to work only during summer vacations for example.

For the open-source part, I really love when homebrew games are open-sourced for learning purposes, and I do it myself sometimes too (when I take time to clean and comment code ;)). But I don't think we should enforce it or even reward it during judging, in order to avoid detracting people from entering. I mean, while enforcing open-source is not a an issue for a 48h or 72h game jam, I can understand how it can be off-putting for a 4 months project using personal libraries that are not open-sourced (as previously mentioned in this thread). Also, this is only the first competition/Jam, rules could evolve for the next ones.

I'm really looking towards the final forum thread / official site / announcement so we can share the word and hopefully attract a lot for fellow developers!
Download ROMs of my games: https://drludos.itch.io/
Support my work and get access to beta and prototypes: https://www.patreon.com/drludos
olddb

Post by olddb »

Also, against forcing open source.
secondsun

Post by secondsun »

Nikku4211 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:02 pm
Still don't think anything as technologically interesting as the bottom is going to be any common in the jam at all. There's probably only going to be 1 or 2 entries as technically contributing as that, if not more.
Agreed, but if entries can get extra points (say 5%) in judging for contributing something small like open sourcing, a blog post, publishing some techniques, etc then I think it will make people try to. Therefore we aren't penalizing people who don't open source and we give them a different way to contribute. Judging and scoring are probably better handled in separate topics.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

secondsun wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:18 pm Agreed, but if entries can get extra points (say 5%) in judging for contributing something small like open sourcing, a blog post, publishing some techniques, etc then I think it will make people try to. Therefore we aren't penalizing people who don't open source and we give them a different way to contribute. Judging and scoring are probably better handled in separate topics.
That is an interesting idea...
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
DashEightMate

Post by DashEightMate »

Hey everyone,

Expect an official announcement soon. I'm still trying to work through how this will operate, rules, and what to name the dang thing. Let me know if you also have experience organizing this sort of thing and can lend a hand.
secondsun

Post by secondsun »

DashEightMate wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:35 am Hey everyone,

Expect an official announcement soon. I'm still trying to work through how this will operate, rules, and what to name the dang thing. Let me know if you also have experience organizing this sort of thing and can lend a hand.
Organizing conferences is one of my hobbies! https://devnexus.com/organizers/summers-pittman
Señor Ventura

Post by Señor Ventura »

Nikku4211 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:32 am After all, I'm still very new when it comes to SNESDev, and I didn't even get a working demo running yet on PVSNESLib.
And I'm the guy who brings the coffee.

xD
DashEightMate

Post by DashEightMate »

Hey everyone, the announcement thread is up. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22093