'Flash" effect

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
vnsbr

'Flash" effect

Post by vnsbr »

Hello, how would i go about making a flash effect on the snes? The screen brightness only goes to #F(normal brightness) i would like to have a "flash in and out". U comsidered doing these for palettes but would need to do to all palettes and need them go back to normal when "fading back"
Quietust

Re: 'Flash" effect

Post by Quietust »

Palette manipulation is pretty much the standard way of doing such an effect, and even though taking a backup copy of all existing palettes is trivial, you likely won't even need to do that because your program is going to be keeping around its own copy of the palette anyways.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Have you considered using colour maths for this?

Basically, using additive colour maths to make the entire screen tinted white for a moment and then going back to normal.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
vnsbr

Post by vnsbr »

Quietust wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:59 am Palette manipulation is pretty much the standard way of doing such an effect, and even though taking a backup copy of all existing palettes is trivial, you likely won't even need to do that because your program is going to be keeping around its own copy of the palette anyways.
Thanks, i was having problems how to return the start values values individually without wasting RAM.
Nikku4211 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:01 am Have you considered using colour maths for this?

Basically, using additive colour maths to make the entire screen tinted white for a moment and then going back to normal.
Nice i have read about this and at the first moment i though i had to mess with subscreens for it to work but i did some tests and it seems to work without setting up a lot of registers, thanks!
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

colour maths is used in the SNES demo we did for flashing.

Just be warned if you have sprites, colour maths only affects some of the pallet not all of it. So you might need to do some palette updates for any sprites not using the support palettes ( I forget which ones, its in the dev manual )
vnsbr

Post by vnsbr »

Oziphantom wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:40 am colour maths is used in the SNES demo we did for flashing.

Just be warned if you have sprites, colour maths only affects some of the pallet not all of it. So you might need to do some palette updates for any sprites not using the support palettes ( I forget which ones, its in the dev manual )
Yes palettes 0-3 are out, good thing i should use just for the title screen i think. Thanks!