CIC nintendo 64

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
fabrizio cabaleiro

CIC nintendo 64

Post by fabrizio cabaleiro »

HI.
maybe this is not the right place to ask about N64, but I don't know where else to do it.
I want to transform a N64 pal cartridge to ntsc, I tried changing the CIC chip, I took the CIC from a usa's cartridge and replace it into the eur's cartrdge, but it didn't work, then I changed the rom chip from from both cartridge and put the CIC in the original place... it didn't work.
someone know how can a play an eur`s cartridge in my ntsc usa`s console? or where to find this information?.
thanks for any help
tepples

Post by tepples »

As I understand it, there are three components of N64 games' protection:
  1. the CIC's country code, which must match that of the console;
  2. the CIC's subtype (e.g. NUS-CIC-6102 vs. 6105), which must match that of the ROM (new feature in N64 so that you couldn't swap games' CICs as easily); and
  3. the PPU's vertical frequency and number of scanlines, which must match that for which the ROM was designed.
fabrizio cabaleiro

Post by fabrizio cabaleiro »

HI

I was looking for information and I found something called N64 Passport, this thing allow players to play games from Different regions, does someone know how this thing works?

I read that some games won't work, but the list is really short.
kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku »

I'm almost certain it contains a boot emulator.