Flash Carts on sale!

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
cybertron

Flash Carts on sale!

Post by cybertron » Sun May 17, 2009 3:37 pm

I am pleased to announce the SNES flash carts are now on sale on http://www.mash-mods.com! I have gotten some interest from forum members so I though I would let you know. I can also do support here.

Currently there are only 16 programmers and 21 cartridges available.
Last edited by cybertron on Mon May 18, 2009 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

FitzRoy

Post by FitzRoy » Sun May 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Sweet, I just ordered one of your SNES programmers. I haven't been able to use my tototek flash device anymore because my new motherboard has no parallel port. It also has a bug in its software that makes games with invalid characters in the header (colons, slashes, and such) impossible to dump. Thank god I saw this.

shadowkn55

Post by shadowkn55 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:25 am

Looks nice. Is a battery holder pre-installed? Are you using an eeprom instead of a traditional battery backed sram? I'm not quite sure what exactly you meant by settings saved in eeprom (game save files or rom upload settings).

cybertron

Post by cybertron » Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 am

FitzRoy: thanks :)

shadowkn55: It comes with the battery installed. I couldn't get any nice PCB mounted batteries tho. The EEPROM is for ROM information, like HIROM/LOROM and Save RAM size

Its too bad there aren't any better solutions then using a battery backup

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Mon May 18, 2009 11:08 am

MRAM?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

shadowkn55

Post by shadowkn55 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Do the carts come with custom labels? I'm still stuck between choosing the snes or sfc style cart.

cybertron

Post by cybertron » Mon May 18, 2009 2:14 pm

The carts come with the original stock label. But they have a new end label so you know what it is.

I am having a hard time getting PAL carts, but if you want SFC style I can use a Japanese cart.

I think I found a 32KB FeRAM type chip, but availability is always a problem for obsolete parts.

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Mon May 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Nice to see you completed your SNES usb flash cart. =) Will you be making more after the initial batch sell out?

Also, making custom labels is not very hard or expensive to do. Just get "sticker paper" from Office Depot/Office Max along with some lamination sheets. Print out your label on the sticker paper, laminate it, cut them out and apply to your cartridge.

To remove an old label you just peel it off as best you can and then use rubbing alcohol or vegetable oil followed by soap with scrubbing to remove the remaining and any old adhesive. But I imagine anyone serious about that can do that themselves too.

cybertron

Post by cybertron » Wed May 20, 2009 6:42 am

Thanks :) The boards have actually been sitting around since January, but its taken forever to make a finished product. I have been busy with work, and my friend (who runs the website) has been busy with grad school, etc

I can defiantly make a new run of boards. They kept all the masks and stencils so I don't have to pay the initial fee again.However I don't think I can find any more cartridges so it will probably be in a kit form.

Lamination sheets are a good idea, to get that glossy look and protect the ink

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Wed May 20, 2009 10:21 am

So you'd be selling the cartridge basically without the plastic case then? And without a lockout chip installed I guess? Not a big deal I suppose, atleast it wouldn't stop me.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Wed May 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Comment in passing: nice to see such a product (a bit late though -- this is something we needed 10-15 years ago!), and I'm absolutely thrilled to see it uses USB instead of some atrocity like parallel.

Thumbs up to Doing It Right(tm).

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Wed May 20, 2009 1:12 pm

So how many of the hacked up translations actually work on hardware?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Thu May 21, 2009 4:09 am

I need money damnit. I want one of these (and better snes tech docs!)

mic_

Post by mic_ » Thu May 21, 2009 9:17 am

That's a really cool project. And props for getting things done unlike the NeoFlash team :roll:
I would've bought one if I didn't already have a SNES flashcart from tototek (I've still got a desktop computer with a parallel port).
Now I'm just waiting for the first flash cart with a SuperFX :wink:

Hojo_Norem

Post by Hojo_Norem » Thu May 21, 2009 9:54 am

mic_ wrote:Now I'm just waiting for the first flash cart with a SuperFX :wink:
Your prayers might be answered: http://sneshack.blogspot.com/
It's a cart in the same vain as the Powerpak. It uses a SD card to store the rom images, ram and a FPGA to make it all work. I dare say that somebody with enough know-how could make a SFX module for it, heck, the original SFX chip was prototyped on a FPGA.