Quickdev16

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Post Reply
User avatar
koitsu
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: A world gone mad

Quickdev16

Post by koitsu » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:40 am

https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/quickdev16

Needless to say, I'm impressed. This is the exact kind of quality + design that's needed for _NES_ console development. :-)

User avatar
Jeroen
Posts: 1048
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:49 pm

Post by Jeroen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:53 am

So why not get a copynes?

User avatar
kyuusaku
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:13 pm

Post by kyuusaku » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 am

It's just an EPROM emulator. Software debugging could be linked to NES homebrew with CopyNES providing the PC interface. (Or maybe there are a couple free PowerPak pins for a serial port.)

User avatar
koitsu
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: A world gone mad

Post by koitsu » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:02 pm

Jeroen wrote:So why not get a copynes?
1) Because I don't do parallel ports any more. The year is (nearly) 2010, not 1991. I'm not going to deal with direct I/O "passthrough" drivers/SYS/DLLs on Windows either. USB or nothing -- and yes, I've worked with it (USB stacks, that is).

2) It's difficult to discern if the software is really up to snuff. If I remember right, a large portion of it is based on QBasic... come on.

Sorry, that's just how I feel about it.

bunnyboy
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: CA
Contact:

Post by bunnyboy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:29 pm

If those are your only concerns, have some blatant advertising: USB CopyNES :)

USB interface, Windows software written in C, other people working on Linux/MacOS apps.

User avatar
Roni
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Post by Roni » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:32 pm

so I guess that would make those of us still using EPROMS stone-agers, huh?

User avatar
Jeroen
Posts: 1048
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:49 pm

Post by Jeroen » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:23 pm

koitsu wrote:
Jeroen wrote:So why not get a copynes?
1) Because I don't do parallel ports any more. The year is (nearly) 2010, not 1991. I'm not going to deal with direct I/O "passthrough" drivers/SYS/DLLs on Windows either. USB or nothing -- and yes, I've worked with it (USB stacks, that is).

2) It's difficult to discern if the software is really up to snuff. If I remember right, a large portion of it is based on QBasic... come on.

Sorry, that's just how I feel about it.
Like bunny said...theres a usb version now ;-) even a premade ram cart :-D

User avatar
koitsu
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: A world gone mad

Post by koitsu » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:50 am

bunnyboy wrote:If those are your only concerns, have some blatant advertising: USB CopyNES :)

USB interface, Windows software written in C, other people working on Linux/MacOS apps.
Hmm... I'm a little confused at how this actually works. Well, that is to say, I understand what the device *does*, but I'm confused as to how one would, say, use it to develop an MMC3 game for example.

User avatar
koitsu
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: A world gone mad

Post by koitsu » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:52 am

Roni wrote:so I guess that would make those of us still using EPROMS stone-agers, huh?
Nah -- I have no real problem with EPROMs, just that I've been down that road when it comes to development and it's tedious; a lot of wasted time, especially when debugging is required.

My point is that it's 2010 and overall development tools/processes should have improved. Just because we're working on a device from 1986 doesn't mean we have to do development like back then. :-)

bunnyboy
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: CA
Contact:

Post by bunnyboy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:54 am

koitsu wrote:Hmm... I'm a little confused at how this actually works. Well, that is to say, I understand what the device *does*, but I'm confused as to how one would, say, use it to develop an MMC3 game for example.
For MMC3 you would have to make a RAM cart (easy) and uploader plug in (easy). For many simple mappers and MMC1 I have the PowerPak Lite. Then just like the Quickdev16 you just upload your game over USB and play within seconds.

A separate USB RAM cart would be a benefit for easy installation, but then the mappers problem hits.

User avatar
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:43 am
Contact:

Post by NESHomebrew » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:14 am

bunnyboy wrote:
For MMC3 you would have to make a RAM cart (easy) and uploader plug in (easy).
Has anyone implemented this successfully? I always assumed the powerpak lite was the only cart compatible. Then again, I haven't done a whole lot of research on the project. All I've seen is what is on the product page.

I probably would have considered a copynes sooner if I knew you could make other mappers supported.

tepples
Posts: 22284
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Post by tepples » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:19 am

bunnyboy wrote:For many simple mappers and MMC1 I have the PowerPak Lite. Then just like the Quickdev16 you just upload your game over USB and play within seconds.
Provided you can find someone to build your CopyNES.
A separate USB RAM cart would be a benefit for easy installation, but then the mappers problem hits.
In that case, would it be possible to add a built-in USB CF reader to another version of the PowerPak, in much the same way that the EFA flash card for GBA has a USB port on it?

User avatar
kyuusaku
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:13 pm

Post by kyuusaku » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:30 am

I'd think for MMC3 you'd need to modify the board with a chip to decode writes to the mapper or RAM/Flash and connect PRG and CHR /WE to the cartridge edge.

User avatar
Memblers
Site Admin
Posts: 3899
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:04 am
Location: Indianapolis
Contact:

Post by Memblers » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:40 pm

WhatULive4 wrote: Has anyone implemented this successfully? I always assumed the powerpak lite was the only cart compatible. Then again, I haven't done a whole lot of research on the project. All I've seen is what is on the product page.
Several years ago I made a cart that supports UNROM, for 256kB FlashROM that works with CopyNES. kevtris wrote a plugin for it. I imagine that plugin should work with the USB version as well, but I haven't tried it yet. I have the parts for those, so I could always supply those as kits or built ones if there was enough interest. But the PowerPak Lite would be better for development, writing Flash is much slower than SRAM.

I had a ROM emulator before I had a CopyNES, so I never really used it for development. What really bugged me was the idea of having to navigate through a GUI to program the cartridge, I'd rather have a command-line program.

Back to the original topic though, that Quickdev16 looks awesome. That is the best approach for a devcart, on the NES though everyone gets tripped up by the mappers. So I think a seperate ROM emulator makes good sense for NES, since there are some many different boards.

Post Reply