Where is Super NES homebrew?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

Looks like a nice start to a game. Be sure to let the community here know when you make more progress.
KungFuFurby

Post by KungFuFurby »

The same person that made XMSNES, eKid/mukunda, also made another audio driver that does IT files. That would be SNESMod.

More info (go to SNESMod)
psycopathicteen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P8dH64m2Cc

Here is a little update. The diagonal shooting looks weird, because I didn't make a diagonal shooting sprite animation yet.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

KungFuFurby wrote:The same person that made XMSNES, eKid/mukunda, also made another audio driver that does IT files. That would be SNESMod.

More info (go to SNESMod)
I was unaware of this. I'll have to check it out when I have some time. I was always disappointed that XMSNES didn't get properly finished.

psyco, keep up the good work. You might also want to consider saving some alpha/beta roms as your project progresses and date them. Then when the project is done you and if you share them with others can look back on the progress of your game's development which is always cool.
6502freak

Post by 6502freak »

psycopathicteen wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P8dH64m2Cc

Here is a little update. The diagonal shooting looks weird, because I didn't make a diagonal shooting sprite animation yet.
Looks very impressive, keep on going!
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

It looks really cool. Are you planning something for the sound in the game?
dr_sloppy

Post by dr_sloppy »

I wrote a some kind of a game (MGS-style: more cutscenes and secrets than actual gameplay ;) for the SNES some years ago. I think I can dig up the source code etc. for it and publish it here if anyone care, however, I don't have anywhere on the web to store it, most unfortunately.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

dr_sloppy wrote:I wrote a some kind of a game (MGS-style: more cutscenes and secrets than actual gameplay ;) for the SNES some years ago. I think I can dig up the source code etc. for it and publish it here if anyone care, however, I don't have anywhere on the web to store it, most unfortunately.
I could give you an account on the membler-industries.com server, if you want.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Imagine a game that alternates four-second snatches of gameplay with four-second unskippable cut scenes. WarioWare series has a 1:1 gameplay to cut scene ratio, but in context, it doesn't bother me.
psycopathicteen

tepples wrote:Imagine a game that alternates four-second snatches of gameplay with four-second unskippable cut scenes. WarioWare series has a 1:1 gameplay to cut scene ratio, but in context, it doesn't bother me.
If the cutscenes are not fullscreen, both the casual gamers and the technical gamers would be pissed off. If the cutscenes are full screen the casual gamers would be pissed off but the technical gamers would be impressed by the fact that it's running full screen video through a 2.68Mhz dma bus that is not active during active display. Once the source code is released, and everybody finds out he used a trick, the technical people no longer find it impressive.
tomaitheous

Post by tomaitheous »

psycopathicteen wrote:
tepples wrote:Imagine a game that alternates four-second snatches of gameplay with four-second unskippable cut scenes. WarioWare series has a 1:1 gameplay to cut scene ratio, but in context, it doesn't bother me.
If the cutscenes are not fullscreen, both the casual gamers and the technical gamers would be pissed off. If the cutscenes are full screen the casual gamers would be pissed off but the technical gamers would be impressed by the fact that it's running full screen video through a 2.68Mhz dma bus that is not active during active display. Once the source code is released, and everybody finds out he used a trick, the technical people no longer find it impressive.
What are you talking about???
psycopathicteen

I was joking.
tomaitheous

Post by tomaitheous »

oh ;>_>
psycopathicteen

I'm thinking about a "floor & ceiling tilting level" after the first miniboss. The visual effect would be pretty easy to do, but I'm a little afraid the collision detection would be complicated to program since I already wrote the tile collision detection routine to work with upright tile grids. But atleast it will be cool looking, and it will add some interesting gameplay mechanics that you don't usually find in released titles.

Who ever said that cool looking special effects can't make a game more fun!