Been off for a while - Snes Multicart News

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
pichichi010

Been off for a while - Snes Multicart News

Post by pichichi010 »

So I been off from this site for a while, I been working in a lot of thinks and learning new stuff.

A while back I talked about a new SNES multicart I wanted to release, and further back, I was talking about hiring someone to make a new SNES game.

Well, both projects kind of merged together, and they turned into a pilot project for me, to get an idea of how things work when you are releasing new games/homebrew carts

I talked to known developers of this forum, I had read they were working or had made new snes Homebrew games.

I came to an agreement with them and got the "rights" to release their games. (3 developers, 4 games)

After researching, talking to some members here, and members of other forums, It came to the conclusion of being a very hard almost impossible way to combine all games in one ROM, but there was another route I could take.

With a different method, technically unkown to me, I was able to find a way to have all those homebrew games in one cart.

The games are very known to all of you:

Mazezam Remake by Akelmaul (Winner of the NEOFlash 2012 comp)
UWOL The quest of Money by the Mojo Twins, ported by Akelmaul
N-warp Daisakusen by D4s (released in 2008)
Skipp and Friends by Mukunda Jhonson (Winned of the PDroms.com comp)

All these games have different specs, some of them are Lo-rom and some Hi-rom, which I thought that was not going to be a problem. Without telling further details, I was able to get in my hands a prototype of the multicart and how it would work.

See Video-

http://youtu.be/RGhxovxXxvI

The Multicart has a "loveless Menu" as a youtube member comments on the video which lets you choose between the games available.

The board -

Extra WIIIIIDE image

It is an older design of board which resembles to some of the off brand/pirate snes games back in the day.

The game is supposed to play Both PAL and NTSC, but I have not tested since I do not own a PAL game.

I was able to get a Mold of the SNES NTSC cart done, and now I have the possibility to produce the SNES cart shells.

The shells are "Screwless" and shut by pressure, although it sounds odd, it is convenient and actually they are pretty nice, Im impressed. Also Same place where I get the Cart Shells done Can make me Dust covers, so this is a little extra touch, I was able to get done.

At the end, the project is still under dev, as I need to start designing, label, box, manual, etc etc etc, and my plan is to make a kickstarter to fund the production run, as my pockets emptied with all the prototype stuff, Mold, etc.

I will say that even though it was a bit controversial, Selling reproductions helped out in funding this, and they helped me understand little by little how a snes cart works, and a bit about the ROMs etc. Also, I invested a lot of Time in learning how to do boxes, and manuals, and developing my own method to produce boxes and make them feel like the old days ones.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think, and if you guys show any interest in future projects too.

Like i said, this is just my first one of many.

Im aiming at at least 250 CIB sold games, as my minimum production run has to be of 500, so we'll see how it goes.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Re: Been off for a while - Snes Multicart News

Post by 3gengames »

So basically the games with your shells are never supposed to be opened up, then?
pichichi010

Post by pichichi010 »

no no no they open up by pressure, snap on and off.

so for example you got/buy/sell a game with a battery holder,

the battery dies after a year or two or whatever, or you want to clean up the board, but have no screw bit, you dont need it for this kind of shells.

Here are some samples on a NA thread:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messag ... adid=87523

And i can do a compatible PAL shape shell, but my Minimum quantities order to get a good deal on the mold is pretty large, so may be if there is more interest on it.

ETA: Thread page with picture here

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messag ... adid=87523
thefox

Post by thefox »

You should use the forum's attachment feature for images.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi