I'm disabling things in Firefox to troubleshoot blocking

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Re: I'm disabling things in Firefox to troubleshoot blocking

Post by Dwedit »

After trying out this website on Firefox, I saw it autoblock me too.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
profi200

Post by profi200 »

This thread is a bit older but i have the same problem still. Just a hour or so ago i got blocked again. It drives me nuts the server is not responding at all leaving you in the dark what's wrong. It basically happens every time i'm logging in trying to post something.
Disabling features in a browser leading to possible worse performance is not an option in my opinion not to mention that you should not really mess with about:config unless you know what you are doing. I think it would be a good idea to implement a workaround server side until the bug is fixed.

Firefox 77.0.1 on Manjaro Linux.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Thanks for the tip to disable RCWN. This has been happening to me every time I visit the site for the past little while.
tepples

Post by tepples »

A duplicate topic was opened:
"Sometimes can't access nesdev.com"

Trouble with RCWN has been reported to another techie forum:
"Turn off Race Cache with Network", comment to "Settings to Try with Firefox" on SoylentNews
Hojo_Norem

Post by Hojo_Norem »

I've given in and disabled the setting, but I would officially like it know that I do so under protest.

NESDEV is the only site I visit that exhibits this behaviour with this feature, ergo, it is my opinion that the fault lies with the NESDEV server and should be addressed sooner rather than later.

This behaviour has the possibility of turning away potential new members to the community. A new visitor comes and see a site that's broken. How many would bother coming back? How many would know to go and turn off a performance enhancing feature that works everywhere else just to visit one site.
Insert witty sig. here...
tepples

Post by tepples »

Racing isn't "performance enhancing" to users whose Internet access plan has a quota, as it causes connections to any website to possibly start failing before the month is over. Nor is it necessarily "performance enhancing" to other users of the same website or other websites on the same server, as the large number of connections it makes at once can cause others' connections to get delayed or dropped.

If you are on an unlimited Internet plan, and you have measured the speed improvement from racing, one workaround is to use Google Chrome for nesdev.com and other sites hosted by WhoaMan and Firefox for all other websites. One already has to do this for Skype and for video chat on Discord, for example.
calima

Post by calima »

FYI, it does not work everywhere else either. The bug reports etc mention other sites too.
Hojo_Norem

Post by Hojo_Norem »

Fair enough.

I bet in theory RCWN is a good idea when looked at certain angles.

Those angles?

Well, I'm not going to presume for anybody else but as somebody who used to wait up to three minuets for a game to load from cassette and then later thought a 44KBps internet connection was a good day... I'd like to think that I have realistic expectations on how well technology performs in certain circumstances. I don't think much of it when some websites take more than a few seconds to connect and load even on my FTTP connection.

The vast number today's internet userbase I will make a presumption. The 'iPad' generation, as I'm going to call it. They come in all ages but share one important aspect... They have no patience when it comes to technology. Something I have seen first hand from my job in electrical retail. People like that get really frustrated when the website doesn't appear as soon as they click the link.

My guess is that RCWN is in some way probably one of Mozilla's attempts to cater to the crowd who just expect it to be instant and if in some situations pulling content from the web is faster than the local cache? Just one step closer to being 'instant'.

I apologise for the mini-rant.
Insert witty sig. here...
profi200

Post by profi200 »

tepples wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:01 am ...one workaround is to use Google Chrome for nesdev.com and other sites hosted by WhoaMan and Firefox for all other websites. One already has to do this for Skype and for video chat on Discord, for example.
That's disappointing if this site joins the growing number of "don't give a fuck about browser choice"-sites. "You already have to do it on sites X and Y" is a poor excuse. The examples you listed do work when spoofing the user agent to Chrome and there is often no technical reason why a site blocks other browsers. A good example is Google deliberately sabotages the experience on their sites/services for other browsers to make people switch to Chrome.
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

tepples wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:01 amone workaround is to use Google Chrome for nesdev.com and other sites hosted by WhoaMan and Firefox for all other websites. One already has to do this for Skype and for video chat on Discord, for example.
profi200 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:21 pmThat's disappointing if this site joins the growing number of "don't give a fuck about browser choice"-sites. "You already have to do it on sites X and Y" is a poor excuse.
While I agree tepples's workaround suggestion to use Chrome was not enhanced by saying "one already has to do this for Skype and for video chat on Discord", please be aware that the issue tepples discovered -- Nesdev's firewall blocks you when Firefox's "race cache with network" feature causes many aborted half-open connections -- is a much different issue than a site optimizing its appearance and functionality for a favored browser or sabotaging its appearance and functionality in non-favored browsers.

If your browser is doing something that can be reasonably be interpreted as malicious activity by a firewall, it seems reasonable to say your browser's behavior is in the wrong. Nesdev's firewall blocking you because of these potentially malicious aborted connections does not suggest to me that Nesdev will "join the growing number of sites that don't give a fuck about browser choice".