Stupid question: what is "Strangulation Records"?

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Stupid question: what is "Strangulation Records"?

Post by Dwedit »

It's been at the top of the page for god knows how long, but what exactly is "Strangulation Records"?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Re: Stupid question: what is "Strangulation Records"?

Post by tepples »

My wild guess: an indie record label that Memblers used to run when the BBS first opened.
orlaisadog

Post by orlaisadog »

strangulation
straŋɡjʊˈleɪʃ(ə)n

noun
the action or state of strangling or being strangled.
"death due to strangulation"

MEDICINE
the condition in which circulation of blood to a part of the body (especially a hernia) is cut off by constriction.

So it's a record of which members of the forum have been strangled or are currently being strangled.
Attachments
strang.PNG
strang.PNG (2.21 KiB) Viewed 14698 times
orlaisadog

Post by orlaisadog »

More useful post:
Attachments
forum.PNG
forum.PNG (3.48 KiB) Viewed 14697 times
orlaisadog

Post by orlaisadog »

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Ahh, remembering before MP3s and before NSFs when if you wanted to listen to or share NES music you made MOD or MIDI covers by ear. :)
http://nesdev.icequake.net/music/
Punch

Post by Punch »

That name is pure 90's internet edginess.
orlaisadog wrote:http://home.icequake.net/~memblers/strangulation/

/~memblers/

memblers

memblers
I'm starting to think that your sole purpose here is to lowkey troll us. :lol: :lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

And I tough it was the people here that strangulated the hardware to make it play nice or die! :P
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

@orlaisadog

Your signature is a bit excessive / distracting. You might want to consider a shorter one.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
orlaisadog

Post by orlaisadog »

Fixed. I decided to remove it entirely.
orlaisadog

Post by orlaisadog »

Punch wrote: I'm starting to think that your sole purpose here is to lowkey troll us.
Sorry, what did I do wrong? Do you mean my username or the formatting?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I think troll is unwarranted. I would imagine for someone oralisadog's age, not having experienced the 90s first hand, that finding old websites like this could be genuinely fascinating. ;) Actually I find it pretty fascinating too.
Punch wrote:That name is pure 90's internet edginess.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Huh, I never replied in this thread, probably since tepples nailed it. But for old times sake, and since everyone has been forced to see the name over the years, I can provide a little history. LOL @ at strang.png, that's great.

Yep, was my old record label. Mostly my friend Andrew and I, but we involved a lot of other people too, made what we originally called "industrial trash music" in the mid 90s. We mostly used Fasttracker 2 (XM format), and Real Tracker (RTM format) before that, but we also had guitar, drum set, bass, and a cheap little Casio keyboard (that we used to like running through the guitar effects pedal). We had just one live album, "Live on the White House Lawn", featuring classics like "The Fuck Song" where the lyrics are just that word. Never more than 2 instruments at time since we didn't have any mixer, just a karaoke machine with a couple inputs. We mostly gave away cassette tapes, not sure how many, probably less than 100. We had some CD-R releases, the later stuff was all Andrew, by that time I was pretty much only doing NES music with Nerdtracker 2. There was some NES music in there, not a lot. Recording NESticle audio to cassette tape, that was the 90's.

I find it amusing that this has ended up on Youtube, but there's an NES ROM with a DPCM version of the story of one of our later, marginally more polished bands (it's Drew narrating, I'm accompanying):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opajf4xO2bQ

in the year 1997, several maniacal madmen joined forces together. this was the birth of dropoff 7
dropoff 7 started out with a casio keyboard, a karaoke machine, and a 1-string acoustic guitar, along with their microphone that did not work
dropoff 7 later hired an additional singer named Ian, but he sucked so they fired him and they kept out locked in the closet at Joe's. Out in the garage.
dropoff 7 started out with totally shitty equipment and their music was shit, but they've evolved into a fine-tuned killing machine
after years of sucking blowing scraping biting they kicked ass kicked crotch kicked balls kicked everything
dropoff 7 is the fuckin' a

very broken
I haven't seen this in a long time
proto-NESdev?

On our earliest tapes, we used to record stuff through my Soundblaster Pro to cassette, it was really terrible. You can hear RF interference of the hard disk reading the files, and a constant EEEE sound that we called the eein'. That was the singer named "Ian".

Listening to the older stuff now, it's extremely bad for the most part. There's still some parts that I like or find funny though. Very little of it ever made it onto the internet, the stuff that was online I just let expire. Archive.org caught a glimpse of it, but the pictures/files aren't there. I totally forgot about that icequake.net mirror, it's amazing that's still up. I clicked on some links and some work, some don't, no idea why it's so random, haha.

As for the name, I'll run with what Punch said, haha. It's all stuff from when I was like 12-17 years old.

It's probably about time to take the name down since it's pretty much retired, it must be really bizarre to see there. I just don't really think about it.