Change my username?

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

dougeff

Re: Change my username?

Post by dougeff »

tepples said:
I'm considering changing my NESdev username to consolidate my online identity.
Billy Joel - Just the Way You Are
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude »

So, you really can't change your username by yourself? It has to be an Admin, that would change it? That's incredibly inconvenient.

Anyway, if that's the way to do it, can I get my username changed to That BioMechanical Dude? I've abandoned the name Alien X a long time ago, and I go by the new name in Youtube, so I'd like to keep it synced up.

Also, if That BioMechanical Dude is too long for this forum (like it is in the Famitracker forums), then just BioMechanical Dude would work fine.

Thanks.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Why don't you change your name to Dutch_Boobies

;)

Edit, this reminds me of when Tom Cruise named his daughter Suri, explaining that it's Hebrew for 'princess'...and trolls responded that there is no such Hebrew word, and in Japanese it means 'pickpocket'. (Sarai is hebrew for princess).
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

AlienX wrote:So, you really can't change your username by yourself? It has to be an Admin, that would change it? That's incredibly inconvenient.
If everyone was allowed to change usernames at any time, there would be a lot of confusion regarding who is who and who wrote what. Searching for old posts could also be very difficult. It's a good thing that users have to ask the mods to change their names, because it discourages this confusing practice and all the changes are documented somewhere people can check.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Tokumaru is right: it's for logging purposes. Continuity is also why I assign a special rank for users whose name has changed.

AlienX is now BioMechanical Dude.

The Suri/Sarai thing might have been the result of 1. asking someone orally what the word is, 2. writing it down as you hear it using your native language's orthography, and then 3. misinterpreting what you wrote down because English orthography is so messed up. In this case:

1. /səˈraɪ/
2. "Suri" (with long I)
3. /ˈsʊri/ DAMN YOU GREAT VOWEL SHIFT!
BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude »

Thanks! Yeah, I guess you're right. It will be indeed difficult to look up old posts, although I wonder if this is the case with all phpBB forums. In one forum, which I was a member of, there was this user that constantly changed their username. Either they were a mod or the mods were very kind to them, or the site allowed name changes. Hmmm...
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

tepples wrote:The name 'tepples' was generated randomly in 2002 with the aid of a Scheme program when I wanted to leave behind a confusing username that my college had generated for me. But I have since learned that Dutch speakers see it and giggle at the resemblance to their word
And you got onto me... :lol:
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Can I have my username change to JRoatch?

I've been holding onto the silly leet name "43110" for over a decade in hopes that I would one day use it for some demoscene production, but it can be easily confused with many things like a US zip code, a decentralized protocol port number, or car part numbers.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Done. Welcome to the motel :P

My own name change has been postponed. I haven't had much time to plan the transition because of illness.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Tepples's recent link to this thread brought me back here, but I had been thinking a long time about how I would appreciate if my username here were changed to Drew Sebastino, as that's a (shortened) version of my real name. This had been the first real forum I had joined, so I created a name like everyone else, but afterward, I got a YouTube account in order to comment, where you could only use the name from your gmail until you got 500 subscribers, which I don't care about. With every forum I've joined since, I've gone by Drew Sebastino, and I thought I'd just make my name consistent all across the board.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

When a username changes, is it possible to do a "search and replace" to update any mentions of that user so that old messages referencing forum members still make sense?
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

It will say "formally Espozo" underneath, won't it? If not, it probably isn't worth confusing everyone; I see now that I have the 10th highest post count on this site. :/
tepples

Post by tepples »

Drew Sebastino is no longer un Espozo. (Is this a divorce?)
tokulordofthe...maru

Post by tokulordofthe...maru »

Hello
tepples

Post by tepples »

What's a better name?
  1. orlaisadog
  2. orlaisafrog
  3. orlaisahedgehog
  4. orlaisapuppet