There is also a Wikified main page which is basically the worst of the both worlds : It does not have the charm/style of the original NESdev main page, it is not actively maintained, it lies in a place it does not belong to, and since there was some random edits, NESdev administrators don't have full control over the page. Most of the bad links were removed, though.
I am a mere user so it's not up to me to do important decisions when it comes to how the NESdev website is layed out. But my personal opinion is that the current situation is ridiculous. Info is present multiple times in similar format, which is just terrible. I will also mention the fact that Disch' notes are copy/pasted in the wiki, which is a horrible idea. There is multiple directoins that could be taken in order to make the site organized again, and I don't care either way, but it sounds like doing a major reshaping on how NESdev is layed out is necessary. Personally I'd rise the following points :
- I personally love the NESdev main page, how it looks (dark background) and how it was layed out. I learned everything with that page, and thus it hurts to see it in a so abandoned state.
- Having multiple sources of information is actually GOOD. I am NOT advocating the "let's put everything on the Wiki and let's shut down everything else" fad that has been prevailant in NESdev recently. There is also huge advantages that there is documents written by single individuals that wanted to give their own version of everything, and those documents should remain accessible and unaltered (even if they contains inaccuracies). It is good that mappers are documented several times in NESdev main pages, one time on the Wiki and one time in Dish's notes, separately. The information is presented using different layouts/wording/diagrams and some people could like one better than another.
- However, having the same information copy/pasted elsewhere and then modified to a different version with no clue what's going on is TERRIBLY BAD. I am targeting the duplicate of Dish's notes and NESDev main page here, as well as the mappers which have multiple pages on the Wiki.
- The main page of any site (when you just type http://www.website.com) should not be a deprecated page, period. If deprecated pages should be available, it should be in a sub-folder where it is clearly stated as so.
- If the NESDev main page should be wikified, then typing http://www.nesdev.com should go to the wikified main page, and it'd be good if the fonts/layout could be truthful to the original NESDev main page (although not obligatory)
- There should in NO CASE be multiple "main pages" for the wiki. What I mean is that, if the NESDev main page were to remain within the Wiki, then there should be no two separate main pages.