Spam edits

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

Quietust

Re: Spam edits

Post by Quietust »

What would be the downside to simply banning that IP address and blocking all modify access to the wiki until its configuration can be fixed?
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Last time, tepples expressed concern that blocking anonymous edits would produce an incentive for spammers to defeat the account creation CAPTCHA. but I'm not convinced that blocking account creation would be worse than the spam.

("that" IP address is the HTTPS reverse proxy, so blocking it is equivalent to blocking all anonymous edits.)
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Begalad

It may have been "better" before (for me, any spam is not ok but that's just me and my OCD :lol:) but I knew that it was heading that way with how the internet evolve with time so the right way was to make it simper for people to make accounts on it, not allow random post to be done since now it gives you more to manage anyway.

For a site of the scope of wikipedia, I may understand why they may want to allow it (I still wouldn't allow anonymous edit) but for nesdev... No more comment :lol:

edit:

@Quietust

The extreme way is to not allow registration from the wiki and to become first a member of nesdev. Then you request an account to the admin here and you can now create content.

How many users are only on the wiki and not on nesdev? I really, really, really want to know :lol:

Why do we have to continue this nonsense, it baffle me but I'm not the admin of it anymore so I have no say in it.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

If the purpose of leaving it open is to attract them away from making accounts...

Would it be possible to have a bot just automatically revert Talk edits from 38.141.52.250 and do something to delete them from the history so they don't clutter recent changes (or the history of talk pages)?

At this point I consider the Wiki Talk pages useless, because there's no way to see new comments among the spam and spam reverts. The only sensible place to discuss anything about the Wiki is here on the forum. Recent Changes is mostly useless, unless you do another couple of clicks to get to Main namespace only maybe, but at that point it's already a lost cause.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Rainwarrior

There is nothing wrong for the wiki to be "private", in the sense that only regular members of nesdev can make post on it. Why is it so difficult to understand... I don't know :lol:

It's not like it takes forever with a small community to know if a member is really here for contributing or not and a new user that register on nesdev and request an account right away seems unusual too so once the person become part of the community then they can contribute.

Without rules chaos ensue so there is nothing wrong to be strict to make it easier for the community in general. That's common sense.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I've seen other wikis that delegate authentication to phpBB. Our wiki could be changed to operate the same way, but that would require shell access in order to edit the wiki configuration, and I haven't yet seen evidence that WhoaMan plans to stick around to maintain things despite the recent activity caused by the forum software upgrade.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

tepples wrote: haven't yet seen evidence that WhoaMan plans to stick around to maintain things despite the recent activity caused by the forum software upgrade.
Maybe you should get a new hosting service, then, one that allows you to configure your servers and services properly? This has become such a ridiculous charade.