Wiki table or ascii art one?

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshaku

Wiki table or ascii art one?

Post by Banshaku »

After making very fast the PPU memory map that was missing on the wiki, I find that it looks not that great compared to some simple ascii arts.

I almost want to convert it that way and maybe other ones but before I do so, I would like to know what people thinkg of the pro and con of each type (wiki table or ascii style table).

I always preferred the later but it could be just a personal preference from my origin from text based OS in the past ;)
blargg

Post by blargg »

I too tend to prefer ASCII art because it can be viewed reliably on a web page and in a text editor. Ideally you could make it in HTML/Wiki but still have it copiable as text, with the web browser doing a decent job of conversion to text. The downside of ASCII of course is the lack of meta-information; content and structure are intertwined. What do your attempts look like so far?
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Not much has been done on that front since the last time we talked about the wiki. It just when I see the result of the PPU table that I just converted from nestech yesterday, it feels so icky compared the previous ascii art version.

The ascii art one was easier on the eye to read for the format. Maybe there is some way to make nice tables in wiki format. It just that I don't know how and the syntax is quite cumbersome. The same could be said about ascii art from the text area in a webpage (i.e. cannot easily put tab character etc).

When you talk about meta-data, can you elaborate on the subject? What kind of meta-data I could put in those table?
tepples

Post by tepples »

You can play with CSS to make a nice table. Edit your monobook.css and then make a user subpage that uses this CSS. I think that's how "prettytable"/"wikitable" on Wikipedia got started.