4-color Sprite idea without layering sprites

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

sonder

4-color Sprite idea without layering sprites

Post by sonder »

This is just a theoretical technique I came up with to allow a special sprite, such as the player, to have 4 colors - presumably black and 3 others - without layering sprites.

The caveat is it requires CHR RAM and a ton of ROM to feasibly do. But I think it should be effective.

It works by creating a rudimentary form fake sprites in realtime. Here are my notes, hopefully they'll be comprehensible:

-------------------------------

extra color / shadow engine (fake sprites)

make background color black

have chr ram and reserve the maximize size of a sprite in the bg's pattern table. this will only work for objects
that are not reused on the same screen.

our mask is size of sprite + 1 in both directions ... so 16x32 becomes 3x5 tiles (15)

have everything ready to go before vblank

prepare an AND mask asset in relation to sprite graphics
it may make sense to store this mask in continuous column strips rather than left-to-right tiles.

now construct a fake sprite out of it

for the y axis,
start on the correct row and "spill" into the next tile the (8-(y mod 8)) row

for the x axis,
so basically rotate each row in an unrolled loop into the next column

after we've constructed a mask, we can AND the underlying tiles with it to create the final tiles

during vblank, place these tiles on the map under a sprite in order to add outlines,
or anywhere (with no sprites at all) to create shadows or other effects.

therefore a sprite can have 4 colors this way.

to speed things up,
the mask creation in the x direction can be precalculated, so for our 16x32 sprite this becomes 3x4 tiles (12) x 8 (- 4) = 92 PER FRAME
if our sprite has detailed animations we could have 50 or so frames for it. this would mean 4600 tiles needed, or 36800 bytes!

the mask application might be able to be done directly from the mask rather than preparing a vertically-scrolled intermediate version

other different effects can be done if the mask is reversed for instance and we use OR or XOR instead. however this might not look nice if the fake sprite crosses attribute zone boundaries.
sonder
thefox

Re: 4-color Sprite idea without layering sprites

Post by thefox »

The same technique has been discussed in the forum before, and I think Bregalad make a proof-of-concept ROM as well, but I can't find the thread.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
sonder

Post by sonder »

thefox wrote:The same technique has been discussed in the forum before, and I think Bregalad make a proof-of-concept ROM as well, but I can't find the thread.
This one? viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9551&hilit=sprite
sonder
thefox

Post by thefox »

sonder wrote:
thefox wrote:The same technique has been discussed in the forum before, and I think Bregalad make a proof-of-concept ROM as well, but I can't find the thread.
Nope, that's not the one.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
sonder

Post by sonder »

thefox wrote:
sonder wrote:
Nope, that's not the one.
Ah - I think I just found it. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8366&hilit=sprite+color

Guess I'm not original.
sonder
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

sonder wrote:Guess I'm not original.
Well, if you consider that there's a finite amount of original ideas to be had, every time someone has one that's one less idea to be had in the future, so it's only natural that original ideas are harder and harder to have as time passes... =)
sonder

Post by sonder »

tokumaru wrote:
sonder wrote:Guess I'm not original.
Well, if you consider that there's a finite amount of original ideas to be had, every time someone has one that's one less idea to be had in the future, so it's only natural that original ideas are harder and harder to have as time passes... =)
That's true. Well, I think that the precalculation idea could make it viable in software.
sonder
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Just for info the thread you should be looking for should be this one :

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9549

Having no personal site anymore I've chosen to store all my demoes on Nesdev so that whatever happens to me they'll be kept.
sonder

Post by sonder »

Bregalad wrote:Just for info the thread you should be looking for should be this one :

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9549

Having no personal site anymore I've chosen to store all my demoes on Nesdev so that whatever happens to me they'll be kept.
Ahhh, I think I've seen this. Must of been that the idea was in the back of my head from seeing this.

The code from this could DEFINITELY come in hand with trying to implement my take on the technique. The dragon warrior sprite probably wasn't the best example as the flesh tone for the face could easily have been accomplished with a single extra 8x8 sprite (without much flicker impact). I think it'd be interesting to try to optimize the technique so well that a much larger character that moves in any direction could be viable.

I won't attempt it myself until I am deeper into conceiving my game though.
sonder
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I think it'd be interesting to try to optimize the technique so well that a much larger character that moves in any direction could be viable.
It's not possible at all. This technique is possible only because it's a 16x16 sprite and that it only moves in a non 16-pixel aligned position on either X or Y axis, but never both at a time.

Without such a limitation, there would be way too much VRAM update to do on every frame for being viable.
sonder

Post by sonder »

Bregalad wrote:
I think it'd be interesting to try to optimize the technique so well that a much larger character that moves in any direction could be viable.
It's not possible at all. This technique is possible only because it's a 16x16 sprite and that it only moves in a non 16-pixel aligned position on either X or Y axis, but never both at a time.

Without such a limitation, there would be way too much VRAM update to do on every frame for being viable.
hrm. maybe it's possible for just single 8x8 sprites? for eyes or mouths on characters' faces or something.

edit: if i make a rule that the 8x8 area where the extra colors are used must be covered by solid sprite pixels, i.e. faces, then no extra mask data is needed except for a set of lookup tables used to construct a solid 8x8 square in a 2x2 bg tile area. The transparent pixels in the sprite would let the black show through.
sonder