Nesicide compile error

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

mattheweston

Nesicide compile error

Post by mattheweston »

I am trying to compile the sample Russian Roulette project and am getting the following:

ca65 --create-dep obj/nes/main.d -g --debug-info -o obj/nes/main.o src/main.s
ca65.exe: Unknown option: --create-dep
make: ***[obj/nes/main.0] Error 255
Build Failed

Are there any Nesicide users out there that have see this error and possibly know how to fix/get around it?
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Re: Nesicide compile error

Post by cpow »

What does the About box, versions tab, say regarding cc65 version?
mattheweston

Post by mattheweston »

Versions of external dependencies:
cc65:
cc65 V2.13.3
SVN version: 5495

ca65
ca65 V2.13.3 - (C) Copyright 1998-2012 Ullrich von Bassewitz
ca65.exe: No input files

ld65
ld65 V2.13.3 - (C) Copyright 1998-2009, Ullrich von Bassewitz
ld65.exe: Error: No object files to link

make
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
This program built for i386-pc-mingw32
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

mattheweston wrote:Versions of external dependencies:
cc65:
cc65 V2.13.3
SVN version: 5495
You need at least 2.13.9, which should be what the Windows installer comes with.
mattheweston

Post by mattheweston »

Ok, I may have overwritten it while trying to fix my issue of not having make installed.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

mattheweston wrote:Ok, I may have overwritten it while trying to fix my issue of not having make installed.
The Windows installer should come with both CC65 and GNU Make 3.81, and point to them to use. Did you get both the nesicide-win32 and nesicide-dependencies MSIs?
mattheweston

Post by mattheweston »

Yes installed both, but it wouldn't build the demo game. I'll try reinstalling from scratch.
mattheweston

Post by mattheweston »

I reinstalled and it appears as if the dependencies installer doesn't install cc65. There are mingwm10.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll in the application folder, but I don't see anything that would point to CC65. Also can't see anything in program files(x86) that would point to cc65.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

mattheweston wrote:I reinstalled and it appears as if the dependencies installer doesn't install cc65. There are mingwm10.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll in the application folder, but I don't see anything that would point to CC65. Also can't see anything in program files(x86) that would point to cc65.
That's strange. I just blew away my installation and reinstalled from those packages on my website and cc65-master is there. It's inside C:\Program Files\NESICIDE\.

When you open NESICIDE, go to NESICIDE->Environment Settings and go to the "Compiler" tab. What does it say down near the bottom "NESICIDE found the CC65 toolchain here: ..." ?
mattheweston

Post by mattheweston »

I believe I've fixed things for the most part now. The app looks different, but in a good way. I'm wondering if I didn't grab an earlier version or didn't install properly.

Now I'm on V1.041 of Nesicide
and v2.14 of CC65

It's giving me an error now trying to load the russian roulette code. The project failed to load. Missing required attribute 'target' of element <nesicideproject>

At least now, I see the website being loaded in the welcome page.
mattheweston

Post by mattheweston »

Can you explain what is needed for the linker file? The Russian Roulette app uses nes.ini for it's linker file. Is this a generic file that can be used for all apps or is it something that needs to be customized for each app(game)?
mattheweston

Post by mattheweston »

Just tried using the nes.ini from russian roulette for another game and got

make: *** No rule to make target ' COLOR.o', needed by 'color.prg'. Stop.
Build failed while processing source.

I am showing under versions

ld65: Error: no object files to link....

Is that normal?
mattheweston

Post by mattheweston »

I think I figured out part of my problem. The Project Base Path under Project Properties->Project is set wrong. Is there a way to change this?
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

mattheweston wrote:I think I figured out part of my problem. The Project Base Path under Project Properties->Project is set wrong. Is there a way to change this?
The Project Base Path should reflect the location of the .nesproject file. I don't keep track of where that is because people can move stuff around at will. I wanted the project to be as moveable as possible. That is why the field is read-only. It's just telling you where the .nesproject is located. It is your responsibility to define the location of other things such as source files if they are non-obvious, in the .nesproject file with the controls provided in the Project Properties.

With regard to using the nes.ini from this project it certainly should be possible. It is a basic NROM-128 linker script as can be seen in the commentary at the top of it.
mattheweston

Post by mattheweston »

I finally got the russian roulette code to compile for me, but the resulting rom doesn't look like it does much. The source would suggest it's a fairly involved game, but if you open the tilesets there isn't much in the way of graphics to back that up.