Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )

Post by Drew Sebastino »

psc wrote:Firstly, we should all remember that Tepples was a hired hand
I didn't think that all of this was just for him. I was even thinking of tepples when I wrote that.
psc wrote:That being said, the music (not his fault) does sound way too similar to Hong Kong pirate stuff, with the drilling drums and whining notes (title screen is alright though).
You nailed the hammer on the head. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I feel the same way. It's just like a bunch of random sounds, which might worked ok if what was happening onscreen was really frantic, but it seemed pretty mellow for the most part.
darryl.revok wrote:
Espozo wrote:Does anyone know of any homebrew NES games with a character named DRW who asks a bunch of random trivia questions?
But not Super DRW Trivia Quiz because that doesn't feature horizontal mirroring and the Japanese manual had a misspelling.
I was about to suggest Super DRW Trivia Quiz 2, but I remembered that that game isn't 4 megabits.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I was about to suggest Super DRW Trivia Quiz 2, but I remembered that that game isn't 4 megabits.
I loled :lol:
tepples

Post by tepples »

dougeff wrote:Once the game is done, there's no point in saying "blah blah music sucks" or "this animation looks weird". Keep the negativity to yourself.
Somehow James Rolfe's character in Angry Video Game Nerd gets away with not keeping the negativity to himself. The same is true of everyone else who has reviewed Action 52. Once a game is released, it's fair game for reviews.

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."
Espozo wrote:Does anyone know of any homebrew NES games with a character named DRW who asks a bunch of random trivia questions?
The closest I can think of are Jeopardy!, Jeopardy! Junior, and Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary, where Alex gives the answers and DRW gives the questions.

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

I got the "You got ninja'd" alert literally four times for seven posts made while I was researching and typing out this comment.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

darryl.revok wrote:
I loled :lol:
I'm here all night. :wink: (literally)

tepples wrote:
dougeff wrote:Once the game is done, there's no point in saying "blah blah music sucks" or "this animation looks weird". Keep the negativity to yourself.
Somehow James Rolfe's character in Angry Video Game Nerd gets away with not keeping the negativity to himself. The same is true of everyone else who has reviewed Action 52. Once a game is released, it's fair game for reviews.

The closest I can think of is Jeopardy!, where Alex gives the answers and DRW gives the questions.

I got the "You got ninja'd" alert literally four times for seven posts made while I was researching and typing out this comment.
Wow... :lol:
psc

Post by psc »

Espozo wrote:You nailed the hammer on the head. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I feel the same way. It's just like a bunch of random sounds, which might worked ok if what was happening onscreen was really frantic, but it seemed pretty mellow for the most part.

Here's an example of the style, for those who still have virgin ears (see the 0:30 second mark): https://youtu.be/4hjGpg5tcL8
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Whoever made that pirate game had no concept of the 8 sprite limit.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

dougeff wrote:Whoever made that pirate game had no concept of the 8 sprite limit.
For a long time, if you uploaded a 60 fps video to youtube, it would just drop every second frame. If your sprite flicker technique works with odd/even frames, it ends up looking like stuff is missing instead of flickering. This happens very often where damage is represented by odd/even flicker, e.g. SMB or Megaman, and on youtube videos it ends up looking like Mario just disappeared for a bit.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I wrote:You nailed the hammer on the head.
What the heck was I thinking...
psc wrote:Here's an example of the style, for those who still have virgin ears (see the 0:30 second mark): https://youtu.be/4hjGpg5tcL8
Those distinctly terrible instruments... Could it be the same people behind this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsRQkDZ_u5U#t=2m46s Bliss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsRQkDZ_u5U#t=10m4s

To be honest though, that really doesn't look too bad, especially for a pirate game. The fact that they'd make a fighting game based off of Super Mario Kart which is based off of just regular Super Mario Bros when it has no more to do with Mario Kart than it does with Mario Bros is definitely strange though. Also, are the names of the characters in that the names of the characters in Japanese or something?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Kart Fighter (1993), Somari (1994), and DKC (1997) are all by Hummer Team and all use those upward slide attacks.

Kart Fighter is so-called because its roster is identical to that of Super Mario Kart. Nintendo ended up making a spiritual sequel to KF in 1999. It replaced half the characters but kept Mario, Luigi, DK, and Yoshi. Peach and Bowser returned in later editions, but Toad didn't (instead becoming part of Peach's counter move), and Koopa Troopa was replaced with the similar Squirtle from Pokémon.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

tepples wrote:Somehow James Rolfe's character in Angry Video Game Nerd gets away with not keeping the negativity to himself. The same is true of everyone else who has reviewed Action 52. Once a game is released, it's fair game for reviews.
Of course, but there are time and place issues and I think most people get that. AVGN is a character. If James Rolfe shouted that he'd rather suck donkey diarrhea when his friends showed him something they did, well, they might call him the Angry Video Game Jerk.

It's not about censoring anyone, I just think people should have the respect to look at things from more angles and consider if there's any point to saying negative things.

We have at least one outsider who's come to the forum to say we're too negative. Either that, or he's an old member who has donned a disguise to fight the forces of negativity in the forum. I prefer the second possibility that I concocted in my own head.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Interesting hypothesis.

But let's see if you can find more Hummer Team influences in the rest of the soundtrack.
Attachments
haunted_more_music.ogg
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 307 times
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

tepples wrote:Nintendo ended up making a spiritual sequel to Kart Fighter in 1999. It replaced half the characters but kept Mario, Luigi, DK, and Yoshi.
Super Smash Bros is obviously just a watered down version of Kart Fighter. :lol:
darryl.revok wrote:We have at least one outsider who's come to the forum to say we're too negative. Either that, or he's an old member who has donned a disguise to fight the forces of negativity in the forum. I prefer the second possibility that I concocted in my own head.
I prefer to believe that he's Jesus, trying to cleanse us of our sin of negativity.
tepples wrote:Interesting hypothesis. But let's see if you can find more Hummer Team influences in the rest of the soundtrack.
Challenge accepted. :wink:
DRW

Post by DRW »

darryl.revok wrote:Honestly, DRW, I'm not going to bother responding more than saying this: I almost think you are only here to troll people. I get that impression when you do things like this and when you constantly ask extremely specific trivia questions and then reject all of the responses with arbitrary criteria that were not previously disclosed. Ugh.
Are you fucking kidding me? What does this have to do with anything?

"Hey, I don't like your latest post, so I'll complain about something completely unrelated that you wrote in a completely different context."

Yup, makes sense.

By the way, you do know what a troll is, do you? Now, answer me honestly: Was any of my criticism without a basis? Did I just flame randomly to stir up controversy?
darryl.revok wrote:Of course, but there are time and place issues and I think most people get that. AVGN is a character. If James Rolfe shouted that he'd rather suck donkey diarrhea when his friends showed him something they did, well, they might call him the Angry Video Game Jerk.
Which is totally unrelated to the current situation since neither of us said anything that sounds remotely like the AVGN, nor is the guy who made the game my friend.
(His programmer is a valuable member of this forum, but you didn't hear me say anything bad about his part of the work. The publisher himself isn't, though.)
He's not someone who releases the game for free either. He sells the game on cartridges. For money. Therefore he's as much fair game as any other publisher.

I don't care whether the publisher is named Capcom or John Doe: If you want to be treated softly, release the game for free. Otherwise live with the fact that I'm free to criticize anything as hard as I want.

But I do get your point.
So, I guess I'll just write to every TV magazine, video game magazine, every movie critic and every sports commenter in existence and tell them that they should stop doing negative reviews on things that suck.

Because firstly, everybody is supposed to shut up or put up. (So Roger Ebert never had the right to criticize movies since he didn't create any himself.)

And secondly, what good is it to criticize a work after it has been released?
Yup, this makes total sense. If the new "Star Wars" movie sucks, we'd better had said it when it was still in production. Because as soon as it hits the cinemas in December, bad criticism is a big no-no since "it doesn't help anybody" since the movie is already done.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I don't care whether the publisher is named Capcom or John Doe: If you want to be treated softly, release the game for free. Otherwise live with the fact that I'm free to criticize anything as hard as I want.
I think everybody can live with that, but that doesn't mean anybody wants to hear it. I'm an anarchist. I'm not saying anyone should censor you. I'm saying you should exercise some discretion on your own.

It's not the game developers saying any of this. I'm sure they can take whatever criticism comes their way. But as a member of this forum, and someone who wants to see the homebrew community grow, and serious homebrew releases have success, I think it was uncouth and an extreme example of negativity in this forum.
But I do get your point.
So, I guess I'll just write to every TV magazine, video game magazine, every movie critic and every sports commenter in existence and tell them that they should stop doing negative reviews on things that suck.
Since you decide to respond with a flippant, I don't think you do get my point. Either that or you do and are trolling. Still not entirely sure.

I had more typed out, but I really feel like I'm feeding a troll and repeating the same things at this point. It's like trying to explain common sense to somebody. I'm pretty sure you get my point. If you really don't, then I don't know what to tell you. You're being a dick. Everybody else managed to have positive and negative comments without being a dick. Badgering about getting the demo before didn't help.
Espozo wrote:I prefer to believe that he's Jesus, trying to cleanse us of our sin of negativity.
Perhaps we should create a fishybawb beacon to post in a thread whenever his super powers and/or holy powers are needed.
DRW

Post by DRW »

darryl.revok wrote:I think everybody can live with that, but that doesn't mean anybody wants to hear it.
It's a forum. Once you see that you don't like what I write, you're free to ignore my posts.
darryl.revok wrote:But as a member of this forum, and someone who wants to see the homebrew community grow, and serious homebrew releases have success, I think it was uncouth and an extreme example of negativity in this forum.
O.k., let's get factual: What exactly was an "extreme example of negativity" in my review? Quote me verbatim. Do it. I want to know exactly where my criticism was exaggerated. I bet you can't find an example and you will pretend that you don't want to talk with me anymore to cover the fact that, when you have a look at my actual review, you won't find anything like the stuff that you accuse me of.
darryl.revok wrote:Since you decide to respond with a flippant, I don't think you do get my point. Either that or you do and are trolling. Still not entirely sure.
That one was sarcasm. It was neither meant seriously, nor was it trolling. "I get your point: Nobody should criticize works after they are published" was a sarcastic remark to point out that this opinion is stupid.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html