Arkista's Ring Disassembly

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
mugenfighter
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Arkista's Ring Disassembly

Post by mugenfighter » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:52 am

I managed to disassemble Arkista's Ring with disasm6 and it seems to compile with asm6. I don't have the time to add the proper labels to it. Anyway I have included the .asm file, the .chr file, and the .cdl file I used to make the rom in an attachment.
Attachments
Arkista's Ring Source Code.zip
(135.27 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Last edited by mugenfighter on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ccovell
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Arkista's Ring Source Code

Post by ccovell » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:44 pm

You should call it a disassembly. Source code implies that it's the original developer's collection of .ASM files with all labels and comments intact.

User avatar
rainwarrior
Posts: 7677
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Arkista's Ring Source Code

Post by rainwarrior » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Is this just the straight output of the disassembler then? You might as well only post the CDL for now, since that's all someone else should need to produce the disassembly (and also is not violating copyright).

mugenfighter
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Arkista's Ring Source Code

Post by mugenfighter » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:44 am

ccovell wrote:You should call it a disassembly. Source code implies that it's the original developer's collection of .ASM files with all labels and comments intact.
Sorry I'm not good with this stuff.

mugenfighter
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Arkista's Ring Source Code

Post by mugenfighter » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:47 am

rainwarrior wrote:Is this just the straight output of the disassembler then? You might as well only post the CDL for now, since that's all someone else should need to produce the disassembly (and also is not violating copyright).
Yeah, it does compile to a working rom though, I rushed though this topic when creating it.

User avatar
Dwedit
Posts: 4236
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Arkista's Ring Disassembly

Post by Dwedit » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:19 am

The real question is does it still compile correctly if you add a byte to the middle somewhere. This would indicate that all pointers (both in code and in data) are not absolute 16-bit numbers.
It's not a true relocatable disassembly until all 16-bit numbers that are memory addresses are labels (possibly with + - offsets).
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

mugenfighter
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Arkista's Ring Disassembly

Post by mugenfighter » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:48 am

Here is the best cdl I can get. No other files included this time.
Attachments
Arkista's Ring (U) [!].zip
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

AWJ
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Re: Arkista's Ring Disassembly

Post by AWJ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Dwedit wrote:The real question is does it still compile correctly if you add a byte to the middle somewhere. This would indicate that all pointers (both in code and in data) are not absolute 16-bit numbers.
It's not a true relocatable disassembly until all 16-bit numbers that are memory addresses are labels (possibly with + - offsets).
It's not just 16-bit numbers; you also have to have to handle the (extremely common on the 6502) case where a pointer is split into two immediate operands:

Code: Select all

asl index
rol index+1
lda #<table
clc ; can omit if index is guaranteed to be < 32768
adc index
sta ptr
lda #>table
adc index+1
sta ptr+1
I haven't yet thought of a way to automate detection of this pattern...

mugenfighter
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Arkista's Ring Disassembly

Post by mugenfighter » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:07 am

mugenfighter wrote:Here is the best cdl I can get. No other files included this time.
Sorry wrong file...
Attachments
Arkista's Ring (U) [!].zip
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

mugenfighter
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Arkista's Ring Disassembly

Post by mugenfighter » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:33 am

By the way, how can I learn what the disassembled code means? I'm still kind of new at this, but I want to learn how the game worked so I can recreate it in 32 bit Windows.

Edit: Sorry I haven't got time to work on a disassembly. I'm busy with stuff I can't go into now.

Edit (Again): My original goal was to have a working disassembly with comments, but again I'm busy.

mugenfighter
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Arkista's Ring Disassembly

Post by mugenfighter » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:30 am

I had nothing better to do...

I'm trying to get a good cdl to work from.

Edit: I think I'm just trying to avoid the fact that I have no clue what I'm doing.
Attachments
Arkista's Ring (U) [!].zip
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Post Reply