It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: still worth it ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:32 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
Package with an integrated emulator on PC

Which such "integrated emulator" is available for use in proprietary projects? Steam and modern-console stores don't accept copylefted software (source), and last time I checked, lamenes (mentioned by lidnariq) was the only one that wasn't under a copyleft license.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:47 pm 

tepples wrote:
Steam and modern-console stores don't accept copylefted software

I can think of two Steam releases that use Mednafen, and they probably aren't the only ones. Steam Greenlight also hosts several games which are themselves FOSS or built on FOSS game engines (Warsow, for example).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:35 pm 

tepples wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:
Package with an integrated emulator on PC

Which such "integrated emulator" is available for use in proprietary projects? Steam and modern-console stores don't accept copylefted software (source), and last time I checked, lamenes (mentioned by lidnariq) was the only one that wasn't under a copyleft license.

I don't really care to get into a debate about the labyrinth of requirements you're unnecessarily heaping upon this.

My point was that if all you make is a ROM, only a niche will play it. Everybody here is comfortable with emulators, but this is not true of the world at large. If you want to expand your audience, it's a problem you should try to address.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:53 pm 

Quote:
but honnestly it's not fun

Then for you, I can tell you right away you'd be better off making a game using C or something on the PC. I don't care how much you want to make a game, if you don't like the programming, you'll give up long before you'll finish.

Quote:
And, why does everyone take a 'go it alone' approach? If you don't like 65816 asm, maybe you could design graphics or levels for someone else's game. Collaborate.

I'm planning on doing that once I get something presentable, as in once I am completely done with all my object code and also handle some extra stuff like updating the tilemap and generating objects based on where you are in the level. I'm much more into programming than I am into actually making a game. The reason I've barely gotten anywhere is all the crap I have this semester (high school and college classes) and also my perfectionism taking over, especially when I realized how little CPU time there really is.

calima wrote:
Yes, but a very small one (on the dev side).

Listing as many people as I can, I'd say there's psychopathicteen, Ramsis, 93143, Undisbeliever, maybe Khaz (he has been increasingly absent) and maybe me. :lol:

phil123456 wrote:
apparently easier to program

You'll find nearly everything is, at least with programming for the video hardware.

psycopathicteen wrote:
If somebody has a PC, they can play it on an emulator.

The only way I've been able to test anything. I'm not really eager to bust out $220 for an SD2SNES, especially with how accurate BSNES and its derivatives are.

But yeah, I like the idea of the built in emulator for widespread release.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:03 pm 

Quote:
Listing as many people as I can, I'd say there's psychopathicteen, Ramsis, 93143, Undisbeliever, maybe Khaz (he has been increasingly absent) and maybe me. :lol:

And Shiru is making an SNES game. And all the people at Piko Interactive. And 'Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death' John Lester.

And maybe me next year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:15 pm 
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Shiru? It's been ages since we saw him the last time. (Well, 2014 apparently). He does SNESdev?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:52 pm 

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messagevie ... did=163537

Quote:
The game is planned to be a cross between Boulder Dash and Bomber Man, and focused on relatively fast-paced movement through more or less straightforward levels in search for the exit while fighting the enemies, rather than exploration of maze-like levels to collect all diamonds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:57 pm 

Espozo wrote:

Quote:
And, why does everyone take a 'go it alone' approach? If you don't like 65816 asm, maybe you could design graphics or levels for someone else's game. Collaborate.

I'm planning on doing that once I get something presentable, as in once I am completely done with all my object code and also handle some extra stuff like updating the tilemap and generating objects based on where you are in the level. I'm much more into programming than I am into actually making a game. The reason I've barely gotten anywhere is all the crap I have this semester (high school and college classes) and also my perfectionism taking over, especially when I realized how little CPU time there really is.

Are you running into slowdown, or are you just worrying about it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:05 pm 

I just started working on an in-game level editor, but then I realized HiROM carts only have cart SRAM in 8kB chunks which makes it more difficult. Is there a way to arrange cart SRAM in a nicer way for a HiROM game?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:24 pm 

I've begun to answer the battery RAM mapping question in a reply to this topic, and I encourage anyone else who can help out to do so as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:15 pm 

psycopathicteen wrote:
Are you running into slowdown, or are you just worrying about it?

I know I will when I implement more things. I don't even have any sort of collision detection yet, and that's going to be a big hit. I've had it to where all my extra object routines run at the end of all of the object's code, but I think I'll get rid of that and have each object jump to the metasprite routine and back and stuff like that. This is slower because you need to keep setting up the routine for every object, but not every object should need to use the routine as simpler objects (like a projectile) can be hardcoded, which I believe will make up for the loss as no game will ever have close 128 complex objects.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:08 pm 

Are you still going to use dynamic animation, or is that only going to be used for certain objects?

Back on the topic of level editors running on the target system, I can also make a bitmap conversion tool running on the snes hardware. Give it a palette to work with and it will automatically match each pixel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:23 pm 

With how my system will be, I can do whatever I want to, so it depends. I'll probably reserve a tiny amount of ram (in that the vram finder table will be marked as full there) for small but frequently used bullets, as there are much of them and require a lot of cpu time but take next to no room. Anything like coins, if I were to make a game like that, would probably just have vram reserved in the same way, but would take up more space for multiple frames. I'd definitely take the cpu hit for dynamically looking for vram for explosions though as the hit is too great otherwise (a small 8x8 bullet is much less bad than 8 32x32 explosion frames, which is what I'd have at minimum). I could still have explosions be hardcoded though otherwise, just jump to a different piece of code for each frame (very bloated in terms of space, but I could give a damn, especially with how much something like this gets run). I think my strategy is going to be something like try to have everything be convenient to the game designer, but if I'm running slowdown issues, start hardcoding to make it faster, but more convoluted and bloated. Really, I can fall back on this about as much as I want, although I don't want to of course and would rather look to optimize the code first (I don't count hardcoding as optimizing, although it is faster).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:31 pm 

Here's the level editor I've been working on! :D

Attachments:
level editor.zip [252.43 KiB]
Downloaded 46 times

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:01 pm 

tepples wrote:
Steam and modern-console stores don't accept copylefted software

You realize Steam distributes Blender, right? They accept copylefted software just fine.