How does Donkey Kong have two CHR banks on screen?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

gauauu

Re: How does Donkey Kong have two CHR banks on screen?

Post by gauauu »

Bregalad wrote: I have absolutely nothing against them asking the questions, but they should ask the smart way, and do a miniumum of preliminary reasearch. If he asked something he tried to understand that'd have been constructive. In this case it's not constructive because the question is trivial, and he even claims he already have the answer.
That may be true, but it's worth gently encouraging someone to do so, so people aren't discouraged and leave feeling unwelcome. (DRW did a pretty good job of this)
Dang it, I want a "like" button on phpBB
Please no, this isn't facebook.
Actually, I wasn't even thinking of facebook, I was thinking of the AtariAge forums, where the like button is often used to express agreement with someone's post without having to derail the thread with a bunch of "yeah, I agree!" posts.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Yeah, we don't need this website to become a contest for likes.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I'm reminded of how unregistered kept a running thread of questions instead of starting new threads for each question, and it went on for a very long time:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7451

That's another way to do it, though it's not very useful as an archive compared to more focused threads (hard to sift through ~80 pages to find what you were looking for). Of course, "focus" isn't our strong point here. This place is more like a chat room anyway.

It's funny, too, even if the questions are maybe trivial or demonstrating a lack of basic self motivated effort, there's still plenty of polite people here willing to answer.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

rainwarrior wrote:It's funny, too, even if the questions are maybe trivial or demonstrating a lack of basic self motivated effort, there's still plenty of polite people here willing to answer.
Because it gives everyone an excuse to talk about our hobby with someone who will listen :beer:
Myask

Post by Myask »

rainwarrior wrote:I'm reminded of how unregistered kept a running thread of questions instead of starting new threads for each question, and it went on for a very long time:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7451

That's another way to do it, though it's not very useful as an archive compared to more focused threads (hard to sift through ~80 pages to find what you were looking for). Of course, "focus" isn't our strong point here. This place is more like a chat room anyway.
If one wants a thread of questions to be more useful as an archive, one can link the questions in the first post, copy the answers into a text file, or any of a number of other some-effort options.

I did kind of prefer unreg's one thread to DP's daily newthread.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Myask wrote: If one wants a thread of questions to be more useful as an archive, one can link the questions in the first post, copy the answers into a text file, or any of a number of other some-effort options.
Or clean up and compile the information in Wiki-pages. Forums are for discussion, if you want to document the NES hardware and common code practice, that's exactly what the wiki is for.
tepples

Post by tepples »

One drawback about the wiki is that the server administrators tend to be less responsive to email confirmation being broken for the wiki than to its being broken for the forum.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I think Nesdev forum is a great archive of information though. Most times when I google a question I have about nes development I end up finding it in a Nesdev forum thread where someone asked the same thing I wondered. A discussion forum isn't a Stack Overflow-like archive of questions but it's also not a chat room, it's something in between.

I'm the kind of guy that goes out of my way researching something before I finally resign and ask the question I couldn't figure out myself. There's a Japanese proverb I often think about though: "Kiku wa ittoki no haji, kikanu wa isshou no haji" (Asking is a shame of a moment, not asking is a shame of a lifetime), in other words asking and revealing your ignorance once is better than keep living with it in shame.
It's a balance thing, if it's a very specific question that you can't find by googling or searching the forum, I think it's good to ask about it in the forum, this contributes to the forum's archive of knowledge too. But it's also important to get good at searching for the information you want (don't give up to soon and try to learn what kind of key words is most likely to give results), and too many trivial questions will eventually annoy even the most patient people around you, and they could perceive you as being lazy.