Check first few chars of argument to ca65 macro?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

Re: Check first few chars of argument to ca65 macro?

Post by thefox »

GradualGames wrote:Not sure I understand all the syntax there, particularly the double %%'s.
Those are there because of the inner sprintf constructs the format string for the outer sprintf. So, for example .sprintf("%%.%ds", 9) would turn into "%.9s" which is used as the format string in the outer sprintf.

(Note that unlike C sprintf, ca65 does not support specifying the field precision as an argument with "*", so nested sprintfs are needed.)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

thefox wrote:
GradualGames wrote:Not sure I understand all the syntax there, particularly the double %%'s.
Those are there because of the inner sprintf constructs the format string for the outer sprintf. So, for example .sprintf("%%.%ds", 9) would turn into "%.9s" which is used as the format string in the outer sprintf.

(Note that unlike C sprintf, ca65 does not support specifying the field precision as an argument with "*", so nested sprintfs are needed.)
Ah, %% is an escape for itself then? Gotcha. Cool! There's a couple of other things I don't understand in there, it looks like you're doing a multiply on strlens somewhere, too, what's that for? *edit* I think I understand now that < is returning 0 or 1 so you can prevent it from parameterizing sprintf with a negative number, the trickery you mentioned, I assume. Neat.
thefox

Post by thefox »

GradualGames wrote:There's a couple of other things I don't understand in there, it looks like you're doing a multiply on strlens somewhere, too, what's that for?
That's the "trickery" I mentioned. (.strlen(ends_with) < .strlen(string)) evaluates to 0 if the ends_with is shorter than string (and 1 otherwise). The multiplication then forces the expression value to 0 to avoid a negative value going into the format string. E.g., "%.-7s" would not be a valid format string.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

thefox wrote:
GradualGames wrote:There's a couple of other things I don't understand in there, it looks like you're doing a multiply on strlens somewhere, too, what's that for?
That's the "trickery" I mentioned. (.strlen(ends_with) < .strlen(string)) evaluates to 0 if the ends_with is shorter than string (and 1 otherwise). The multiplication then forces the expression value to 0 to avoid a negative value going into the format string. E.g., "%.-7s" would not be a valid format string.
I can't seem to get ca65 to be happy with it. Trying to compile the following:

Wondering if it's a linecont issue. Like if I use .linecont + and then add some \ 's if it'll work.

Code: Select all

.define string_ends_with(string, ends_with) .xmatch(.sprintf(.sprintf("%%.%ds%%s", (.strlen(ends_with) < .strlen(string)) * (.strlen(string) - .strlen(ends_with))), string, ends_with), string)
.if string_ends_with("hello", "llo")
    .out "yes"
.else
    .out "no"
.endif
Last edited by GradualGames on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefox

Post by thefox »

GradualGames wrote:
thefox wrote:
I can't seem to get ca65 to be happy with it. Trying to compile the following:

Wondering if it's a linecont issue. Like if I use .linecont + and then add some \ 's if it'll work.

.define string_ends_with(string, ends_with) .xmatch(.sprintf(.sprintf("%%.%ds%%s", (.strlen(ends_with) < .strlen(string)) * (.strlen(string) - .strlen(ends_with))), string, ends_with), string)
.if string_ends_with("hello", "llo")
    .out "yes"
.else
    .out "no"
.endif
You should not use parens when calling macros. Try:

.if string_ends_with "hello", "llo"
    .out "yes"
.else
    .out "no"
.endif
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

thefox wrote: You should not use parens when calling macros. Try:

.if string_ends_with "hello", "llo"
    .out "yes"
.else
    .out "no"
.endif
Oh! :oops: Probably just force of habit with C style macros... I haven't thus far used any in my ca65 programs, only normal ca65 macros.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

thefox wrote:It works by stripping off .strlen(string) - .strlen(ends_with) characters from the end of string, then appends ends_with to it, and compares to the original string.
Very clever!