x and y registers used as a "this" vs. "that" idiom.

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

zzo38

Re: x and y registers used as a "this" vs. "that" idiom.

Post by zzo38 »

To me, X and Y registers (and also A register) is just whatever fits best with the instruction set for the most efficiency, and does not mean "this" and "that", it just means "X register" and "Y register".
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Of course, but in the specific case of dealing with game entities/actors/objects, most people have arrays of them, so you need some sort of indexing or pointers to access and manipulate them. When one entity/actor/object needs to talk to another, it makes sense to use X to index one of them, and Y to index the other. Using X for "this" entity makes sense to me because on the 6502 more operations are available with X indexing (e.g. ASL, LSR, ROL and ROR can only do indexed addressing using the X register), leaving Y to be used for "that" entity. If you use pointers though, Y becomes the more versatile register (but still not as versatile as X in absolute indexed mode).

Of course that even when we use X and Y to manipulate entities/actors/objects like this, the 6502 is so short on registers that you'll likely need to temporarily backup those indices so you can free the registers to do other tasks while manipulating the objects.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

zzo38 wrote:To me, X and Y registers (and also A register) is just whatever fits best with the instruction set for the most efficiency, and does not mean "this" and "that", it just means "X register" and "Y register".
My thoughts exactly.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

In spanish, "this" is here, and "that" is there. "This tree" is close, within reach. "That tree" is far. I can get "this pencil" from the table, but I might have to leave my sit to reach "that one".

On the other hand, I've coded very little in assembly, but in my mindset, X=this and Y=that makes sense. I think I treated them that way.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

For a more anecdotal example, in my game I used Y for "this entity" updates as a convention, and it was a mistake, largely because of how often it would be convenient to use it with INC. The "entities" are fixed arrays with fewer than 256 entries, so there's really no advantage to Y for them.

However, it doesn't really follow that I'd use X for "that entity". All cases of dealing with two at once are probably special. Sometimes I'll use X, sometimes I'll temporarily replace Y, sometimes I'll have switched "this" into the X position too. So... sometimes I would use X and Y to index two related things like that, but just as often I would do it some other way. Very situational. (For example: by temporarily replacing Y, I can reuse code that was written for the "this" case too, even when it's "that".)

And yeah, X should have been my primary convention for it, but hindsight is 20/20. In the end it's not really a big deal. After the entry to the entity's update code, I can transfer Y into X and use that instead if it's more convenient, etc. there's some inefficiency as a result, but not enough to make me want to refactor the whole thing. Even this wrong choice is good enough much of the time. ;)
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

All of my entity code uses the X register to refer to the current entity, and the entity routine is responsible for preserving X. Most of my entities need to read level data, and this is where indirect-indexed requiring Y comes in handy because it means I can directly use entity variables and level data together without needing to save and restore anything.

For entity spawning, I just have both a FindFreeObjectX and FindFreeObjectY because the routines are so small (21 bytes) and important that there's little reason not to just have both.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

NovaSquirrel wrote:All of my entity code uses the X register to refer to the current entity, and the entity routine is responsible for preserving X.
When an entity is called in my engines, X contains the index of the slot where the entity is, but this index is also stored in RAM. This allows the entity routines to quickly use X for other purposes and restore it easily afterwards.
Most of my entities need to read level data, and this is where indirect-indexed requiring Y comes in handy because it means I can directly use enemy variables and level data together without needing to save and restore anything.
Yeah, Y then becomes the first choice for accessing data, but I can't always do everything using only Y, sometimes I need X too.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

Of course I save and restore X if I need it for something else, it just means my STX is in the entity code itself rather than in the entity code caller (though it'd be a good idea to move it).
tokumaru wrote:Yeah, Y then becomes the first choice for accessing data
I think it's the other way around. If you have large arrays involved (like my game's 4 KB level buffer) it stops being an arbitrary choice, because you're almost definitely going to need Y for that. X then becomes the first choice for anything else because Y is already taken.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Yeah, having the index redundantly in ZP somewhere is super convenient. (...sometimes not even X or Y is the right choice! We must not exclude other options.)

The other alternative to using Y, useful in some rare circumstances, is with self modifying code in RAM. You can roll your own pointer if you modify the address of the instruction directly.
tepples

Post by tepples »

NovaSquirrel wrote:For entity spawning, I just have both a FindFreeObjectX and FindFreeObjectY because the routines are so small (21 bytes) and important that there's little reason not to just have both.
What sets up the health, initial animation frame, and other attributes of a newly spawned object, and ensures its cels are in CHR RAM?
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

rainwarrior wrote: And yeah, X should have been my primary convention for it, but hindsight is 20/20. In the end it's not really a big deal. After the entry to the entity's update code, I can transfer Y into X and use that instead if it's more convenient, etc. there's some inefficiency as a result, but not enough to make me want to refactor the whole thing. Even this wrong choice is good enough much of the time. ;)
It sounds like the choices you made concerning y vs. x are not as bad as the ones I had made previously to what I currently have. When I wanted one entity to talk to another with my current system, say transfer a bunch of 16 bit variables, AND use my 16 bit convenience macros, I'd have to transfer a bunch of data out of the current entity to ZP, then save the current index on the stack, then transfer those ZP variables into the other entity also indexed by x, then finally restore the old index from the stack. It was really ugly and hard to follow. Now it's literally just

Code: Select all

ldy the_other_entity
move16 original_entity_variable, the_other_entity_variable, x, y 
everywhere. (in other words, my macros only supported the x register at first, hence all that mess with zp transfer I mentioned above. once I added support for specifying registers it simplified a whole lot.)
adam_smasher

Post by adam_smasher »

Something sort of related is that on 8080 based processors and their descendants (GBZ80, Z80, and x86), the different registers do carry some amount of semantic meaning in idiomatic code.
On the (GB)Z80, B/C/BC are typically used for counters, and DE is typically the first choice for a DEstination pointer for copies and writes and such - and that's despite the fact that the instruction set is almost entirely orthogonal w.r.t. these registers. And because HL is sort of a "16-bit accumulator", its constituent 8-bit registers are rarely wasted on storing independent 8-bit values unless necessary. These idioms do start to break down when you're writing "speed code" or facing lots of register pressure, though.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

adam_smasher wrote:On the (GB)Z80, B/C/BC are typically used for counters, and DE is typically the first choice for a DEstination pointer for copies and writes and such - and that's despite the fact that the instruction set is almost entirely orthogonal w.r.t. these registers.
And then on the real z80 you've got instructions like "ldir" that do enforce DE as a destination, HL as a source, and BC as a counter, at least for the copy. "djnz" means that if you want to take advantage of it, the B register is already your loop counter.
tepples wrote:What sets up the health, initial animation frame, and other attributes of a newly spawned object, and ensures its cels are in CHR RAM?
I've got a separate ObjectClearX and ObjectClearY that marks the entity as not coming from the level layout and also zeros out the entity's variables. I call that before overwriting whichever variables I want, but usually starting at zero is desired. I don't have variables specifically for things like health (almost all enemies die in one hit) or animation frame (based on timers) and in general my engine sounds simpler than yours are.
Vectrex2809

Post by Vectrex2809 »

I always use X for "this" entity and Y for other stuff like child entities, lookup tables (for entities that move in a sinusoidal way, like moving platforms in REKT).
As somebody else already mentioned, the use of X is great since it lets you use INCs and DECs with your entities, which is amazing for simple movements and animation.