NESMaker Kickstarter - Make NES games without coding

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Sonny_Jim

NESMaker Kickstarter - Make NES games without coding

Post by Sonny_Jim »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... -required/

This seems to be utter bullshit. Thoughts? Does Joe post on here at all?
tepples

Re: NESMaker Kickstarter - Make NES games without coding

Post by tepples »

With the "module" structure, it looks like something analogous to RPG Maker, Dezaemon, and SEUCK, none of which is bullshit.

See also JoeGtake2's posting history.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

You registered an account just to bash on an enthusiast? Did you even take time to learn that a game has already been made with the toolkit as-is?

The only "problem" is see is that specific engines may cause some saturation of play-alikes, but they're even planning to add quite a bunch of modules (what the KS is for) which should remedy that at least halfway. There's also the risk when something becomes "too easy" that there will be an output of low-quality designed games as the stakes are lower (see game maker), but then again, you don't need to play them.

Honestly i think this is a great entryway for people to get into NesDev. Once you've made a couple of games inside their engines, you might want to dive in.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

This is a pretty amazing project and long overdue. I've been following it somewhat recently, and these guys seem to really know what they're doing. It is good that you can create new modules for your game style, and I'd imagine it's possible to edit the asm for existing modules, though I don't see that information anywhere so it's just a guess.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Yeah, amazing is the right word. :) I can see how this could help me realize a few side projects and ideas in the "some other day" drawer that i currently can't find the time to scale otherwise (really hope the generation of a project folder comes with editable source!)
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

This does look like a much more serious project than Joe Cracker's NES ROM Maker and its magical "Find bug" button, that's for sure!
dude3585

Post by dude3585 »

Ive paid $80 for GameMaker 2(when on sale) and its great so this is just amazing even if it cost a small fee. It cant be easy to script a complete engine like this. I dont know what the OP issue is. Maybe he should watch the documentary first before judging. Great idea and I will be backing this project.
I would like to know if it supports different mappers and battery saving.
pubby

Post by pubby »

mouser remake when?
BenMcLean

Post by BenMcLean »

I'd really like to see some way to combine this with NESHLA or a similar language.
calima

Post by calima »

It will probably work, but the output will be so limited. Even desktop maker tools, with unlimited space and RAM constraints, produce mostly toys. I expect the first and maybe second goal will happen, meaning an influx of zelda and mario clones by 10-year olds.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Let the 10 year olds have fun too! And it also means good games coming out (not ONLY 10 year olds will have fun with it). So everybody wins.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

tokumaru wrote:This does look like a much more serious project than Joe Cracker's NES ROM Maker and its magical "Find bug" button, that's for sure!
I remember that, haha.

The main thing I find amusing about this project is that I originally started out with RPG Maker XP. I stopped using it because I felt like somebody else was doing the work for me. It felt like I was saying: "I don't want to have to choose the tens of thousands of details required to make a unique game, I want somebody else to choose them for me." Once I found my way to nesdev and realized there was very little such help available (along with many other factors influencing my decision) I never looked back. Funny to see the scene come full circle and provide this sort of solution to others. I am very interested to see how the scene changes over the next few years, assuming this tool is funded and continues to gain more attention.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Funny thing: the first version of RPG Maker was released for the Super Famicom (among others).
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

lidnariq wrote:Funny thing: the first version of RPG Maker was released for the Super Famicom (among others).
:shock:
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

I could see it becoming a bit of a sport pushing the templates/modules outside what they were meant to provide as an experience, depending on what restrictions they enforce.

Personally I wouldn't want to squash some of my more endeared design ideas into these templates, but it could be a creative pastime and maybe even teach me something new about design in general. If anything turns out good, that's a bonus.