NESMaker Kickstarter - Make NES games without coding

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: NESMaker Kickstarter - Make NES games without coding

Post by tepples »

FrankenGraphics wrote:??? 36$ is a very reasonable price. It's basically 3-4 pies of pizza.
It depends on the exchange rate between your country's currency and the United States dollar. In less developed countries, food (such as pizza ingredients) and services (such as making pizza) are much cheaper than in the United States because overall wage levels and property values are lower. See purchasing power parity and Balassa-Samuelson hypothesis.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

tepples wrote:
FrankenGraphics wrote:??? 36$ is a very reasonable price. It's basically 3-4 pies of pizza.
It depends on the exchange rate between your country's currency and the United States dollar. In less developed countries, food (such as pizza ingredients) and services (such as making pizza) are much cheaper than in the United States because overall wage levels and property values are lower. See purchasing power parity and Balassa-Samuelson hypothesis.
But in those countries, Pizza is likely considered an American luxury meal, so would be more expensive than most local restaurants. So the price might still be about the same ;-)

Source: 2 years of personal experience ordering pizzas while living in China
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

There are plenty places with cheap pizzas around here. The big chains (Domino's, etc.) can be pretty expensive though... I only order from those on days when they sell 2 for the price of 1 (only then you'd get 3-4 of them for US$36).
Punch

Post by Punch »

Classic nesdev.com, discussing the price of pizza. :lol:

Just don't pirate the NESMaker software, there's no debate, it is morally wrong, end of story.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

You can't tell pirates not to pirate, you know they eventually will. That certainly won't be encouraged here, of course.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

tepples wrote:
Yes, for example in Switzerland for $36 you probably could only get between 1.5 and 2 pizzas. (assuming you're ordering good ones at restaurant, not buying cheap pre-cooked crap in a supermarket)
zob64

Post by zob64 »

Personally, the NESmaker development lead me here and to all of you wonderful people and your lovely work.

As for the concerns about shovel ware, as a comic artist on the web, I can tell you that the increase in access to software tools and publication resources have indeed exponentially increased the number of forgettable and poorly crafted works. But even more notably, it's brought in some amazing folks who otherwise would never have been able to make their comic.

Better access to tools and publishing has raised the bar for what people will pay attention to. There is no way to fake beautiful art that offers a compelling encounter. Kickstarter is flooded with lazy or poor quality comics looking to cash in, but they rarely get funded or take the spot light. The comic projects that do remarkably well on Kickstarter, at conventions, or at retail don't just appear one day and blow up. It almost always takes 10 years of building skills and a readership before a cartoonist becomes an "overnight success."

I suspect that NESmaker and the homebrewing community can expect to see a comparable experience. Many more forgettable titles with creators that disappear in a few months, but also new voices and talent coming in as well. Sure, there will be games that blow up and become a hit that you might not think deserves to, but that's just how it goes in the arts sometimes. NESmaker doesn't really change that. What it might change is punching a new way in for folks who don't know where to start or are too intimidated to try otherwise. I guess we'll see.

Anyways, it's nice to see such thoughtful conversations here! Cheers!
cdigi

Post by cdigi »

I have pre-ordered the NESmaker software. I'm hoping it can help me learn how NES games are structured and how to interface with the programming.

What readings would you recommend to begin using NESmaker when it is released?

Has anyone tried using a NESmaker rom on the Famicom Mini?

Thanks.