Can you export scopes in ca65?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

qfwfq

Can you export scopes in ca65?

Post by qfwfq »

I like the built-in namespacing ca65 provides through .SCOPE/.ENDSCOPE and am hoping to use it in my project. It works fine when I put all of my code in a single file, but when I start to break the code out into separate files, I find I'm unable to make the scopes available other files via the usual mechanisms (.IMPORT, .EXPORT). Has anyone had any luck exporting/importing their scopes?
rainwarrior

Re: Can you export scopes in ca65?

Post by rainwarrior »

.import and .export are for passing actual labels around (i.e. something that can be assigned a value), not scopes.

If you want to import/export something that's inside a scope:

Code: Select all

; in exporting file
.scope scoped
	.export thing
	; thing definied here somewhere
.endscope

; in importing file
.scope scoped
	.import thing
.endscope
Edit: replaced non-working example: .export scoped::thing

I don't think there's any kind of mechanism to import/export all symbols in a scope.

You could make a "header" file like C and use .global for all the symbols within a scope that should be public.
Edit: duplicate scope error seems to prevent the ability to use .global for scoped exports.
Last edited by rainwarrior on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

rainwarrior wrote:If you want to import/export something that's inside a scope:

.export scoped::thing
I don't think there's any kind of mechanism to import/export all symbols in a scope.
There's an open feature request for something similar to .import scoped::*.
pubby

Post by pubby »

rainwarrior wrote:

.export scoped::thing
I've never been able to get that to work. I've resorted to doing hacks like this:

.export foo
foo = scoped::thing
Otherwise I get errors.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Ah apologies, was going by my fallible memory. (Haven't actually done it in a while.)

You can put the .export within the .scope, and on the .import side you can do the same.

Unfortunately this seems to preclude the use of .global for this, because they assembler has a "duplicate scope" error for some reason.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Scopes in ca65 are pretty cool, but there are several gotchas that prevent them from being as useful as they initially appear to be. To avoid these problems, I currently use scopes only to delimit labels, and if any scoped labels need access from the outside, I create global aliases for them.