Ophis for DOS?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

koitsu

Re: Ophis for DOS?

Post by koitsu »

You could alternately just use minus/Norman Yen's x816, which is natively for MS-DOS. It's a 65816 assembler with a SNES focus, but will work for 6502 -- just make sure you don't use any 65c02 or 65816 addressing modes/opcodes and you'll be fine. It's still, IMO, one of the best 65xxx assemblers there is. It requires at least 4MBytes of XMS memory, so make sure you have EMM386 loaded and enough RAM. Best-suited for a 486 system. Latest (and last) version was 1.12f: https://www.zophar.net/utilities/nesdev ... mbler.html

Alternately, there's a separate thread about getting x816 ported to a present-day OS.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

Dude seriously...

tass64 will compile on a M68K Amiga so you can be build for DOS easily. ACME I would also think, TASM is DOS, PDS is DOS if you can get a hacked version that skips the "check for the ISA card" check. DASM, xa65... DOS 6502 assemblers are a dime a dozen.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Confirmed: cc65 just compiled one of my games in a Windows 95 486 laptop. Long filenames and all.
Attachments
IMG_20180408_162100_993.jpg
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

na_th_an: I thank you for your insight. Maybe I should try it again. :)
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

I'm sorry, but I installed a new copy of cc65 on my Win98 computer and checked some environment variables (it appears that I already had a copy installed), and, when I ran a batch file that compiles one of my cc65 programs, the console window displays an Access Denied message, and I keep getting an Invalid Operation error dialog box. What could be the problem?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

If I remember correctly, "Access denied" in the Win9x days implies that something else has the file open for writing.

If you have a @ECHO OFF at the top of your batch file, remove it, and you'll be able to tell what specifically is causing the error.
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

I can do that, but it seems to be a call to cc65, as the error dialog box says "cc65." None of the files used by the bath file should be open, so I don't know what's causing the error. :( I will get the information now. :)
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

I captured the output from the batch file, and the output file is 0k in length. :(
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

asm6 1.6 also works.
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

na_th_an wrote:asm6 1.6 also works.
I'm actually using cc65 for purposes other than NES programming. I don't think C is currently good for video game programming. :(
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Harry Potter wrote:I'm sorry, but I installed a new copy of cc65 on my Win98 computer and checked some environment variables (it appears that I already had a copy installed), and, when I ran a batch file that compiles one of my cc65 programs, the console window displays an Access Denied message, and I keep getting an Invalid Operation error dialog box. What could be the problem?
You might also check to see if any files/folders (er I mean, directories, hehe) have the read-only attribute set. I remember running into that somehow after I copied files from a CD-R.

Are there any kind of temporary directories that it uses maybe? https://www.cc65.org/bugs.php mentions c:\tmp needing to exist, but that specifically relates to ar65.

Was a long time ago, but I used to use ca65 (not cc65 though) in MS-DOS.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Harry Potter wrote:I'm actually using cc65 for purposes other than NES programming. I don't think C is currently good for video game programming. :(
cc65 is a collection of tools that includes an assembler (ca65), if this isn't clear. I didn't mention it to suggest you should use C instead, but because its included assembler is a good assembler for the NES.