Ophis for DOS?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Harry Potter

Ophis for DOS?

Post by Harry Potter »

Hi! Is there an Ophis assembler for DOS? I have a DOS laptop at my mother's house and want to use it for NES programming. :)
tokumaru

Re: Ophis for DOS?

Post by tokumaru »

I think you're gonna have to go a little more old school if all you have is DOS.
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

I have a DOS laptop at my mother's house. I also have a Win10/64 laptop at home and access to several Win32 systems. I just like the delusion that the DOS laptop can be useful, but sadly, all I do on it is install software. :(
tepples

Post by tepples »

How much RAM and how much HDD does the MS-DOS laptop have? I ask because if it's at least a 486 with several MB of extended memory, you might be able to run DJGPP under MS-DOS, which gives you much of the same GNU software that you have under Linux, and from there build NESASM, ASM6, or cc65.

I seem to remember having used x816 under MS-DOS to make the first version of my Sprite Cans demo.
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

It has a 486DX2/75MHz and about 10MB XMS memory not used by a RAM drive. The hard drives are simulated but have enough free space for some large things. However, I don't want to install DJGPP. I have Turbo C++ 1.01, and on other computers Watcom and Turbo C++ 3.0. I can compile NESBASIC but want to compile the OPHIS tool. Is its source code available? I didn't check but probably should. :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

Ophis source code is available, but it requires Python 2, and I don't know if Python is made for MS-DOS anymore.
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

Okay. I have another NES assembler. Thank you for your insight. :)
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

Uhh...an the latest stable release of NBASIC be compiled for DOS16? I have a few C/C++ compilers to target DOS16.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I would think that cc65 should be compilable for DOS as well, with some small amount of setup?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Doesn't HXDos let you run win32 console applications on Dos?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I run Windows 95 OSR2 in a 486DX laptop with 12 Mb RAM. Of course modern GUI based programs crawl, but as long as you open a console you can run console based program just fine. I don't know if ca65, nesasm or asm6 will work in Windows 9X. I can try, if I find the time - and my PCMCIA CF-Card reader.
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

The last time I tried cc65 under Win32, it only processed short filenames. Also, cc65 used to have a DOS port, and I think it can be compiled as a DOS32 application. Now, can I compile NBASIC as a DOS16 application?
Harry Potter

Post by Harry Potter »

I looked at NBASIC's source code, and it seems to be DOS-compatible. I ask the creator of NBASIC and NESAsm to compile DOS binaries of these.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Harry Potter wrote:Also, cc65 used to have a DOS port, and I think it can be compiled as a DOS32 application.
Ah, yes the DOS build from 2012 is still on the old FTP:
ftp://ftp.musoftware.de/pub/uz/cc65/
Punch

Post by Punch »

NESASM can run under DOS but you need it's extmem program iirc.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.