Finished: TBA block stacking game

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

slembcke

Finished: TBA block stacking game

Post by slembcke »

https://youtu.be/mLVJr026230

So I've been working as a contractor on a game project for a local company. Everything about the game was ripe for a NES port, so as a weird joke, I decided to demake it for the NES. Tada! I think it turned out pretty good. I don't really want this to show up on Google (yet) since the game it's based on won't be released for a while. We want to have some fun with using the NES version as a marketing gimmick, and I don't want it to pollute search results for the actual game before it's even out. Gernfher Fgnpx in rot13 if you really want to know, just don't post it in plaintext please.

On the off chance that anybody here is going to be in Minneapolis for 2D Con this weekend, it will be playable there. : D

http://files.slembcke.net/temp/GernfherFgnpx.nes.gz

Controls:
Left/Right -> Walk
A -> Jump
B -> Pickup / drop stack
Up + B -> Grappling hook
Down + B -> Pickup /drop block under player

Anyway. Enjoy, and thanks for all the help. : D
Last edited by slembcke on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Banshaku

Re: Finished: Unnamed block stacking game

Post by Banshaku »

I saw the video only and it look nice. I will try the rom later. Like mentioned in another thread, I'm not very knowledgable of puzzle game and I'm not sure how it works here too ^^;;
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Not sure how intentional this is, but here's a fun gif:
You end up in the wall for a bit, but it's not long term game breaking so it might be fine.

Edit: An "advanced technique" in this game is stealing a key from a same color key and chest block while it's still airborne so it doesn't auto open on landing.
kikutano

Post by kikutano »

Really, really nice!
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Hitting Turbo A makes you jump higher for some reason?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
slembcke

Post by slembcke »

Kasumi wrote:Not sure how intentional this is, but here's a fun gif:
You end up in the wall for a bit, but it's not long term game breaking so it might be fine.
A known issue, but yeah it didn't seem game breaking enough to fix. :p
Dwedit wrote:Hitting Turbo A makes you jump higher for some reason?
Hmm. That I might want to look into. That sounds much easier to exploit.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Especially as Tetris DX for Game Boy and Game Boy Color has a similar wall climbing issue.

Could you paste the official product's name "encrypted" with ROT13? Usenet users used to do that for media spoilers, and it should keep this topic out of web searches for the official product's name. Or would that put you in legal trouble?

[MOD NOTE: If the OP writes the ROT13 version in a reply, all subsequent posts that "decrypt" it will be edited to also use the ROT13 version.]
slembcke

Post by slembcke »

ROT13 name: Gernfher Fgnpx

It's not a secret that I'm working on the game with them. They've mentioned me in their official Twitter feed. The existence of the NES version isn't really a secret either, but I was hoping it could be a fun marketing stunt or something.
slembcke

Re: Finished: TBA block stacking game

Post by slembcke »

I finally got a NES for myself so I can stop borrowing one for testing. Other than a fixable known issue with picking up large stacks and running out of vblank time it seems to run great. :D

The guy that composed the music for the original game was hoping to have time to throw a tune together for it before the convention on Thursday. If not it should still be a pretty amusing attraction.

edit: Hah! This just keeps getting better. Somebody at the office collects old computers and just happened to have a Commodore monitor in their car.

Related:
https://twitter.com/Lead_Instigator/sta ... 2732312578
slembcke

Post by slembcke »

I never got around to posting the final version we had at 2D Con, so here it is!
http://files.slembcke.net/temp/GernfherFgnpx.nes.gz

Has some music (done by Troy Strand), and the rest of the UI in it. Otherwise basically the same.

Reception at the convention was pretty good. A few people thought it was really great, so that was fun.

Even Mega Man approved. :D
Last edited by slembcke on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slembcke

Post by slembcke »

Hey! So I guess it's been officially announced. My business partner and I were brought it to help get it running on more platforms, and implement the cross platform net games. :D

There's a playable Windows demo if you join the Discord channel. It's basically just the single player like the NES version though. ;) https://discord.gg/EMbScvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... UfYyCMntVs

slembcke

Post by slembcke »

Oops. I thought I replaced that with the link for the final version. Use the link in the first post.