"Multi-Directional" Scrolling - Advice?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

gauauu

Re: "Multi-Directional" Scrolling - Advice?

Post by gauauu » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:43 pm

Well, I do hate having to think about it everywhere, but I actually really like how it impacts the world. Having every 8th metatile be a half metatile makes for some interesting variety that I hadn't planned on.

Punch

Post by Punch » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:34 am

Tepples: if I'm doing a Mapper 7 program for the competition, do I need to consider bus conflicts? I'm assuming I don't have to but you never know... not having to deal with them is going to help with some tricky code to map the nametable and/or program memory.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:10 am

Action 53 mapper has no bus conflicts. You are free to treat mapper 7 as ANROM/AOROM, which likewise have no bus conflicts, instead of AMROM, which has bus conflicts.

(The menu software attempts to consider bus conflicts because it (at least in theory) is also designed to run on a BNROM board containing NROM or mapper-hacked CNROM games. But that route was never pursued.)