Image Parser

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Lucradan

Image Parser

Post by Lucradan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:17 am

I've uploaded a tool I made to help me convert image files into CHR, palette, and sprite files.

https://github.com/Lucradan/ImageParser

This allows a user to
1. Import an image
2. Edit its palette and recolor it
3. Place and move it on the screen (256x240)
4. Assign Background and Sprite Layer Palettes
5. Parse the image into background and sprite layers
6. Save and Open image project files (*.cff format)
7. Exports CHR banks and palette binary files for both the background and sprite layers.

I'll add a user manual when I have time (and a video if I can figure out how), though I hope it is generally user friendly.

I built it because I was frustrated by the amount of time I was wasting converting a multilayered image into code. This was great for helping me with cut scenes.

It allowed me easily this one, for example:

https://youtu.be/FuYb6KSBRO8

Please feel free to try it out, send suggestions, etc. I do have future plans to expand its capabilities.
Attachments
Sprite Layers
Sprite Layers
Attribute Assignment
Attribute Assignment
Prime View
Prime View

pwnskar

Re: Image Parser

Post by pwnskar » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 am

Super cool, thanks for sharing! I've not tried implementing cut-scenes yet, but this looks like it could come in handy. :)

zzo38

Re: Image Parser

Post by zzo38 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Looking at the screenshots and information you provided, it seems like it can be useful for arranging sprites/nametable to form a picture.

However, it seems to be a single EXE file, with no source code or documentation, and is presumably a Windows program (I haven't checked if it is a .NET executable).

I have written command-line programs (for Linux, although they might work on Mac OS X and FreeBSD too, but I haven't tried) to convert image files to/from the NES/Famicom CHR format (and other similar formats), although it does not do the other stuff you listed (although in future I may implement the name table format too).
[url=gopher://zzo38computer.org/].[/url]