Fceux Qt/SDL Port Testing

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Mjbudd77

Re: Fceux Qt/SDL Port Testing

Post by Mjbudd77 »

tepples wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:49 pm Zapper in emulators is typically bound to the mouse. This means yes, I can test the emulated Zapper, as I did for Zap Ruder and for the Zapper test in 240p Test Suite. I also have a vintage TV and PowerPak against which to compare game behavior.
Just pushed out an update that adds an nes input device selection window to the Qt GUI. It is similar to the windows gui except for the preset logic. Also had to make a few fixes for the mouse cursor location calculations. After the mentioned changes, I was able to play duck hunt with a zapper emulated via a mouse. Let me know if you see anything wrong.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Opening a nonexistent ROM from the command prompt causes a segfault.

Code: Select all

$ fceux nonexistent.nes
Starting FCEUX 2.2.3-interim git...
Using Mapping From File: /home/pino/.fceux/input/keyboard/default.txt
Created ShmID: 491542 
NTSC mode set
Error opening "nonexistent.nes"!
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 »

tepples wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:28 pm Opening a nonexistent ROM from the command prompt causes a segfault.
I believe I have fixed this in my latest code update.
Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 »

It’s getting hard to keep track of what issues people would like fixed as this thread grows. I think I have addressed most of mentioned items but for future items, it would be easier for me to track if issue/feature requests could be entered as issues in the fceux GitHub project. The url for the project was given in the first post of this thread. I want to make a tagged software release soon so that Linux distros will include it in their add on package lists (most will not accept beta versions). If you think the software is ready for tagging and deployment, please let me know that too. I like to hear an occasional good comment in between the issue reports. :mrgreen:
Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 »

Update on status. As of today I am considering all of my targeted new development of the Qt fceux gui to be done. I'm going to give a short period of time to field any bugs that are reported and then I'm going to give the green light to release the software. If you happen to see a Qt GUI related issue and would like it fixed, please submit an issue here: https://github.com/TASVideos/fceux/issues. Thank you to all who have provided feedback and helped me test.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Thank you very much for doing this!
Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 »

lidnariq wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:23 pm Thank you very much for doing this!
You are very welcome. :) I have been spot checking the GUI to make sure it is stable and functional. In your opinion, would you say this code is ready for a tagged release? I only ask because I'm trying to avoid having an issue pop up right after a new release is made.
calima

Post by calima »

1.0 will be 1.0 no matter what you do, just release.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Unfortunately, I haven't really been doing any NES dev lately, so haven't had a chance to test it beyond a very cursory way. Sorry that's not more helpful...
Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 »

This new version of FCEUX (2.3.0) has officially been released as of today.
dienben2020

Post by dienben2020 »

Hello,

Thanks for all the efforts! Just downloaded and will use today!

Ben
Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 »

Per request of some users, I decided to make some more new improvements to the QT GUI (post release, available in git repo only). These improvements are mainly with the pattern and name table viewers. I also added a color palette editor tool that allows for game colors to be changed while running (not sure how useful others will find it but it was fun to mess with).
Updates to the pattern table viewer include:
1. Tile grid
2. Graphical tile editor
3. New context menu options
Updates to name table viewer include:
1. New window layout that more resembles mesen
2. Scrollable view port with zoom in/out functionality
3. New context menu options
4. Tile grid
For those interested, I'm looking for some feedback. Does anyone see bugs? How can it be made better?
Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 »

The Qt/SDL port of fceux is now also available for windows. Although, it does not have the TAS editor feature, there are a few improvements to the debug tools that the pre-existing windows port does not have. One other notable improvement is that the Qt port runs the GUI and emulation in separate threads which allows for smoother game play with debug windows open. If anyone is interested in helping with testing, please leave a comment.
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

Mjbudd77 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:15 pm the Qt port runs the GUI and emulation in separate threads which allows for smoother game play with debug windows open.
HUGE difference on my old computer, way better. I like the colors in the debugger and the iNES header editor too, very nice.
Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 »

For those interested, I've added a new sprite viewer window feature to the development version of the Qt/SDL fceux. Its functionality is similar to the mesen sprite viewer window.