Published first game - what next?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Pokun

Re: Published first game - what next?

Post by Pokun »

Joy Mecha Fight is certainly no SFII, but it's quite unique as it's a licensed game, properly in the VS Fighting genre for the Famicom. It's a very late Famicom game (1993) and SFII had of course already popularized the genre two years earlier. Although it's kind of like a techdemo with floating body parts to get around sprite limitations, it's quite neat and obviously inspired by SFII and other such games coming out after the genre boomed (it also got a funky Rockman-ripoff kind of story). It's also a cheap game that's easy to find, I have it CIB myself (BTW you need to access a hidden menu to delete the save data).
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

RJM wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:10 am When I do my coding in 6502 assembly it feels like more fun than any other language I used so far, but also takes longer. You could probably attribute it to my short practice with the language, but I really wonder how do people prefer to create games for NES? I did some C coding about 10y ago in college. For productivity reasons I'm considering moving to this language. Do you think it's a good idea or should I rather stick with asm?
I recommend C, but I don't have much experience with assembly. I have found it very fast to get stuff and and running, and iterate on gameplay. Given what you have already done in ASM, I think you will be in a very good place to code in C, and optimize key bottlenecks in ASM. Reach out if you need any help getting started!

If you are using NROM, feel free to fork From Below as a starting point (just basically clear out main.h/c and you should be up and running): https://github.com/mhughson/mbh-firstnes/

In terms of project scope, here was my 3 project plan going into this:
Project 1: "Tetris-clone".
* NROM. Limited CPU concerns. Single screen. Understood design.

Project 2: "Witch n’ Wiz port".
* Action puzzle game. Non-NROM Mapper with expanded memory. Multiple moving objects. Basic scrolling. Understood design. Self-published physical cart release.

Project 3: "Dash Maximus".
* Advanced Mapper. Platformer. Fast. Multiple scrolling directions. Require 6502 assembly optimizations. Published physical cart release.
Things have evolved since I wrote that, but I think it's still a decent plan of progression, especially given that you have also made games on other platforms.
RJM

Post by RJM »

Goose2k wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:12 pm If you are using NROM, feel free to fork From Below as a starting point (just basically clear out main.h/c and you should be up and running): https://github.com/mhughson/mbh-firstnes/
Thanks, I was just looking for something like this! I'd definitely take a look at your project, as I prefer to start from working examples.