NFT/Blockchain ROMS

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Goose2k

Re: NFT/Blockchain ROMS

Post by Goose2k »

aquasnake wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:48 pm For the manufacturing of industrial products, it is not necessary to seek the permission of all customers who have sold before for each product produced again, because producers always want unlimited production.

If you make a game product with limited distribution, and then use blockchain technology to recalculate the price of each copy, and each copy has a unique digital signature, but also your production has an upper limit. You will find that the cost of each industrial product you produce will be higher and higher, and you have to recalculate all the products that have been sold to determine the future output, and the output will be less and less. Finally, it leads to a decline in productivity.

Blockchain technology prevents anyone from copying and producing for some reason, not only some pirate, but also the original manufacturer
I think I am missing something. Why would you need permission to mint new copies of the game? In fact, I thought one of the flaws of cryptoart is that you DONT need to prove ownership of a piece before minting it. So someone could grab my rom today, mint it, and sell it. There is no permission needed.
aquasnake

Post by aquasnake »

Goose2k wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:22 am
aquasnake wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:48 pm For the manufacturing of industrial products, it is not necessary to seek the permission of all customers who have sold before for each product produced again, because producers always want unlimited production.

If you make a game product with limited distribution, and then use blockchain technology to recalculate the price of each copy, and each copy has a unique digital signature, but also your production has an upper limit. You will find that the cost of each industrial product you produce will be higher and higher, and you have to recalculate all the products that have been sold to determine the future output, and the output will be less and less. Finally, it leads to a decline in productivity.

Blockchain technology prevents anyone from copying and producing for some reason, not only some pirate, but also the original manufacturer
I think I am missing something. Why would you need permission to mint new copies of the game? In fact, I thought one of the flaws of cryptoart is that you DONT need to prove ownership of a piece before minting it. So someone could grab my rom today, mint it, and sell it. There is no permission needed.
If you need a unique digital signature for each copy, you have to calculate all copies and generate a new digital signature. This is a necessary condition for determining uniqueness.

Otherwise, it's just the serial number, or it's just the digital signature of unilateral authentication, which can be forged at will, or it can only be issued by the producer wantonly.This is a pseudo blockchain

The blockchain is not authorized by an authoritative organization to release authentication, but owned by the whole people. All the replica owner data participate in the calculation of the new replica digital signature. Therefore, it is a network structure. Any replica owner in the blockchain, like the original publisher, can release new copies. It depends on whose computing power is ahead of the others to calculate the new digital encryption number first. Of course, this kind of computing power is more and more demanding with the increase of the number of copies issued, which prevents the generation of new copies.

In other words, even if you are the first to release the original ROM, and then someone else's computing power is ahead of you, he will get your benefits, and he will generate more digital encryption numbers than you. However, it is very difficult for you to copy. This is a very unbalanced mechanism as a developer. The key to this encryption algorithm is you can lead it? If not, don't go into this trap. In the end, you contribute ROM, and the encryption algorithm is provided by others. You will find that you can't copy ROM, but others can
DRW

Post by DRW »

Goose2k wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:18 pm There is actually an additional piece to this that I didn't realize: the original artist can actually get "royalties" every time the piece is sold to a new owner.
Isn't this the kind of dick behavior that we hate so much when corporate assholes do it?

I bet you'd love to pay royalties to your hardware store when you buy a used hammer from someone, right?
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

DRW wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:19 am
Goose2k wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:18 pm There is actually an additional piece to this that I didn't realize: the original artist can actually get "royalties" every time the piece is sold to a new owner.
Isn't this the kind of dick behavior that we hate so much when corporate assholes do it?

I bet you'd love to pay royalties to your hardware store when you buy a used hammer from someone, right?
Hard to predict how people will feel. My gut tells me that since the money is going to the original creator, it will be looked at as more of a tip, which may be more palatable.

It's also optional, so if there is pushback, that % of royalties will likely get driven down to 0 (I believe the standard right now is 10%).
DRW

Post by DRW »

If it's optional, then it's alright. If it wasn't optional, it couldn't be called a tip.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
wonder

Post by wonder »

Hi guys!!

I read some of the replies and I fully understand how confusing the topic of NFTs can be.

In addition to NES games I’m also a smart-contract developer. This morning I’ve finished the backend of a potential NFT platform especially tailored for the nesdev community.

I will post more details tomorrow, but I can say the project is based on the ERC-1155 Multi Token standard, which is similar to the NFT standard, but not quite the same.

The idea is a mix between digital collectibles, Patreon-like financing and incentivized economics. Also, no changes need to be applied to your rom files (although I’d recommend a digital signature).

I’ll try to be as clear as I can when I’ll post my presentation, but I just wanna let you know that I really want to build this project together with all of you.

Stay tuned. :)

PS: I’ll probably need help with the web front-end.
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Don't forget us when you're a billionare!
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop »

wonder wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:37 pm Stay tuned. :)
Sounds interesting!
All I need: A damn fine cup of coffee!
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Someone get this scam shit out of here. NFT itself is a scam. There is no place in NesDev for scamming people.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
wonder

Post by wonder »

Goose2k wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:49 pm Don't forget us when you're a billionare!
Ahah, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but that's not the goal of the project. It's more of a crypto-based Patreon that benefits the developers themselves. :D
dale_coop wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:31 pm Sounds interesting!
Thanks! I'm already working on my presentation.
Dwedit wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:04 pm Someone get this scam shit out of here. NFT itself is a scam. There is no place in NesDev for scamming people.
Just like on the early days of the internet, there are indeed many scams taking advantage of the NFT hype. An NFT is nothing but an implementation standard, like an iNES header. Please don't call my project "scam shit", at least before you see it. :(

- The code is open-source so it can be audited by everyone, no back doors
- The design of the smart-contract will be tailored according to everyone's ideas
- The aim of the project is to benefit and support NES game development and provide the end-users with digital collectibles
- Deploying the smart-contract on the main network will probably cost ME around 500 USD, so if anyone is gonna lose money that will be me

The smart-contract (work-in-progress, not final) code is here:
https://github.com/brunowonder/DigitalC ... ts/dcm.sol
It's only 180 lines of code, half of which are comments.

Even if you've never seen the Solidity language I guarantee you'll be able to understand it.
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

What actual tangible benefit is this supposed to provide to anybody in the nesdev community?

You mention three things behind the idea:
  • "digital collectibles", which people are somehow supposed to believe are "collectible" even though digital goods are all trivially duplicatable (not to mention that with NFTs, you're not even paying for the item, you're just paying for an expensive certificate that tells everyone how much disposable income you have)
  • "Patreon-like" financing - this already exists, it's called "giving people money".
  • "incentivized economics". What the fuck is this even supposed to mean? Has there ever, in history, been any form of "non-incentivized economics" where people just arbitrarily move money around for no reason?
What advantage does this provide over just donating to homebrew developers or purchasing physical releases, other than needlessly employing the latest buzzwords and an extraordinarily wasteful concept like the blockchain?
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Revenant wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:10 pm What actual tangible benefit is this supposed to provide to anybody in the nesdev community?
It's just another possible revenue stream developers. It doesn't have to be all things to all people. Some people like collecting physical carts, some people like digital ROMs, and some people like collecting NFTs.

Consumers will ultimately determine if they are something fun/interesting to collect. It's not super relevant if you personally want to collect them, or see value in them. The NBA seems to have done a really good job with this and opened a whole new market for themselves with their NFT basketball cards (although I'm not super familiar with it).
wonder

Post by wonder »

Seeing the lack of interest and negative responses in this thread, I decided not to pursue this project any further.