Noise channel not working as expected

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

DarkKodKod

Noise channel not working as expected

Post by DarkKodKod »

Hi community,

I have everything working in my music engine, all channels works fine but the noise channel. The issue is that no matter the sound type value I use in the $400E, it sounds similar. I'm using famitracker to see the values I want to use from there but when I use for example the same "note", it doesn't sound the same in my code

This is kind of the code Im using just to show that all Im doing is the usual stuff I think I have to use for the noise channel

Code: Select all

lda #$01
sta $400E
lda #%00111111
sta $400C
lda #$00
sta $400F
What Im doing wrong? what is missing?
Quietust

Re: Noise channel not working as expected

Post by Quietust »

DarkKodKod wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:24 am The issue is that no matter the sound type value I use in the $400E, it sounds similar. I'm using famitracker to see the values I want to use from there but when I use for example the same "note", it doesn't sound the same in my code

lda #$01
sta $400E
lda #%00111111
sta $400C
lda #$00
sta $400F
The first several "notes" are probably going to sound close to identical because they use an extremely high frequency - pitch 0 is ~447kHz and pitch 1 is ~224kHz, and it's not until around pitch 4-5 that you'll likely be able to hear the difference as anything more than a volume change.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
DarkKodKod

Post by DarkKodKod »

Quietust wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:44 am
DarkKodKod wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:24 am The issue is that no matter the sound type value I use in the $400E, it sounds similar. I'm using famitracker to see the values I want to use from there but when I use for example the same "note", it doesn't sound the same in my code

lda #$01
sta $400E
lda #%00111111
sta $400C
lda #$00
sta $400F
The first several "notes" are probably going to sound close to identical because they use an extremely high frequency - pitch 0 is ~447kHz and pitch 1 is ~224kHz, and it's not until around pitch 4-5 that you'll likely be able to hear the difference as anything more than a volume change.
But if you use the famitracker the "note" 0 and 1 sound completely different
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Note that in Famitracker note "0" is rate "F" and vice versa.

Unfortunately, many emulations of the sound channel's very high frequencies are off. The only real difference between the top several notes is that they'll have a rhythmic sound and change in loudness.

This is what they should sound like:
rate-0-through-3.zip
48kHz wavs inside
(177.34 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
DarkKodKod

Post by DarkKodKod »

lidnariq wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:43 am Note that in Famitracker note "0" is rate "F" and vice versa.

Unfortunately, many emulations of the sound channel's very high frequencies are off. The only real difference between the top several notes is that they'll have a rhythmic sound and change in loudness.

This is what they should sound like:
rate-0-through-3.zip
Thanks! that was the problem :)