In Search of 6502/Turbo Game Doctor 6M+ Hacking Expert.

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Destro_83

Re: In Search of 6502/Turbo Game Doctor 6M+ Hacking Expert.

Post by Destro_83 »

Memblers wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:52 am I did a lot of NSF rips back when that was a new thing, and if it's at all comparable to that kind of hacking, I would speculate that if your hacker had your list of desired conversions, it's probable that the easier ones were done already. So it could be that that the remaining ones are mostly in that "long tail".

Though I don't have experience with the TGD6M+, nor do I own one, it's something I might be interested in.. what it would cost seems crazy to me though. Though it sounds fun, I already have a day job + family + other things that take up my time. So I'm not really all that available.

It might be helpful if you post a list of conversions that are already done, and the list of the ones you want. Would give someone an idea of what they're up against. But, like rainwarrior said, it's a fairly large amount of work to even see how much work the conversion would be. Some games do mapper control in a very clean and organized way, like where every call goes to a single subroutine and that's kinda easy. But a lot of games' code (maybe most of them) tends to be a little chaotic and a lot wacky.
Thank you for the first post on this thread that is snark free! PM Sent
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

We are all actually giving some really useful advice here, it just isn't what you want to hear.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Destro_83 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:13 am Thank you for the first post on this thread that is snark free! PM Sent
Oh, wow, you thought we were snarking? Wow.

Snark would be: How cute. He thinks it's reasonable to pay less than minimum wage for his passion project.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

My response wasn't meant to be taken as hostile, just realistic. :S

I'd be happy to do work like this for someone who puts enough value on it. If you don't really think it's worth that much then I can only wish good luck.
Destro_83

Post by Destro_83 »

rainwarrior wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:45 am My response wasn't meant to be taken as hostile, just realistic. :S

I'd be happy to do work like this for someone who puts enough value on it. If you don't really think it's worth that much then I can only wish good luck.
I would rather not deal with you because you are rude. It has nothing to do with the cost. Have a good one and follow what your mother says and say nothing else if you have nothing nice to say.
Destro_83

Post by Destro_83 »

Ben Boldt wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:25 am We are all actually giving some really useful advice here, it just isn't what you want to hear.
See my above comment. Cheers!
Destro_83

Post by Destro_83 »

lidnariq wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:49 am
Destro_83 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:13 am Thank you for the first post on this thread that is snark free! PM Sent
Oh, wow, you thought we were snarking? Wow.

Snark would be: How cute. He thinks it's reasonable to pay less than minimum wage for his passion project.
Jesus christ. I never said anything about not wanting to pay. I am not going to engage with someone who starts with a rude a presumptuous tone. All three of you clowns fall into that. Get a life and some sunlight.
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

Destro_83 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:52 amI am not going to engage with someone who starts with a rude a presumptuous tone. All three of you clowns fall into that. Get a life and some sunlight.
Funny you should say that, I am just on my way out the door for a bicycle ride on this wonderful spring day. Seems you should consider your own advice. What you are finding wrong in us seems to be more a projection of yourself than us, and you can probably ask Sigmund Freud for more details on that. We're just here talking informally/speaking our minds like we always do and you're taking it all personal, like we ought to be running up to help you with this project nobody ever cared about before. We don't know who you are and we have no reason not to like you before you started acting like this. Whether you realize it or not, you have just cast aside some of the very top minds in the community, and because of that I don't have a lot of respect for you or your strange obsession.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Destro_83 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:48 am I would rather not deal with you because you are rude.
Destro_83 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:52 am I never said anything about not wanting to pay. I am not going to engage with someone who starts with a rude a presumptuous tone.
hahaha
hahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

it's funny because you don't see how you're describing yourself.

The entire time you've been rude, condescending, placed a low value on other people's time, and dismissive of anyone telling you things that aren't exactly what you want to hear.

You haven't provided enough information to make anything resembling an informed estimate on how much time it should actually take, and the only estimate from anyone who has any relevant background you dismissed as "insane". (Incidentally, at least two other engineers agree with Rainwarrior's estimate. Your expectations are unreasonable.) You haven't enumerated any but one of the 60 relevant games, or what mappers they currently are on. A "handful of hours" could literally mean anything from 2 to 20 hours. It's possible that the majority of games would be quick and easy and the estimate should be closer to 2 hours/game at $100/hr. But I doubt it.

When I said "you should provide a counteroffer" you entirely ignored me. Maybe that was accidental, but even so. Put all your cards on the table: exactly what games and exactly how much money you think they're worth. Or else kindly go away.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

I echo everyone else's sentiments here. I am, like Memblers and Rainwarrior, always interested in technical challenges with NES/6502 code. ROM to disk conversion is an interesting idea. But none of us wants to do it for free in the similar way that your friend/"contact" did, because of the negative vibes you are projecting.

My assessment is that you had been using your "contact" and his technical expertise, and returning nothing. And you lost contact with him because he didn't want to deal with you anymore. It might not be true, but this is the odor this situation gives off.
nin-kuuku

Post by nin-kuuku »

Destro_83 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:52 am Get a life and some sunlight.
Destro_83 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:14 am When I am done, I plan to have 546 physical FDS/GD games in my shelving system.
:)
tepples

Post by tepples »

If I owned a Famicom and FDS on which to test, I'd probably have already made conversions of my own NES games.
ZReport

Post by ZReport »

Sent ya a PM.
zombie343

Post by zombie343 »

Apologies for the necro. Did anything come of this?

I recently aquired a Turbo Game Doctor 6 and a Game Saver+! ...However, I don't have power supplies for them.
aquasnake

Post by aquasnake »

By the way, I have implemented the FDS multicart. Regardless of how many disk sides the original image has, the multicart can combine hundreds of fds images and automatically swap disk sides (enumeration starts from disk 0 and side A). This project took me half a year to develop.

However, the physical implementation of Bang Super Game Doctor or Venus Turbo Game Doctor will only be simpler. The ROMs collected by good-set are ram card data decorticated from disk images, which are actually the NES standard format.

If you have a market, we can talk. If you only need one copy, you are likely to run away after hearing the offer :lol: