Anybody interested in wrestling homebrewing?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

-Basti-

Anybody interested in wrestling homebrewing?

Post by -Basti- »

HI, I wanted to do a wrestling homebrew, but I´m still at the beginning of my "homebrew career". I´m well skilled in graphics but need help when it comes to programming. So if you´re interested, let me know :wink:

Here are some test gfx I made for a WWE-Wrestling homebrew:

unfinished WWE Star John Cena, who would headline the starting screen:

first draft of the WWE Logo:
tepples

Post by tepples »

WWE has been done on the NES. You'll probably need to create your own fictional league if you don't want a quick cease-and-desist from WWE Inc.

Try this: Animate a few characters that are roughly 44 to 48 pixels tall doing wrestling moves on each other.
-Basti-

Post by -Basti- »

Yeah, but if I do a non-commercial WWE project there is a chance that WWE don´t fuck me up.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Tell that to the people who got a letter from Square Enix.

In order to show that you're serious about making the graphics, and not just for still cut scenes, please make test animations.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

The trouble is, if anything in there is trademarked, WWE is required to actively protect it - otherwise they can lose the trademark. It's different from copyright, which remains automatically protected whether they defend it or not.

I'd imagine if they complained later on you could just change the portraits, title screen, stuff like that, the wrestler sprites would probably be indistinct enough to not matter. But that would be a lot of work lost..
tepples

Post by tepples »

Or you could do the Cocoron approach and make the entire game geared for Create-A-Wrestler.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

tepples wrote:Or you could do the Cocoron approach and make the entire game geared for Create-A-Wrestler.
Yep, that would be the most fun too, I think.

edit: Then one could create the WWE wrestlers in the editor, if that's what they wanted. That's what I advised to Basti about this a little while while back on ICQ. Let the game users do the 'infringement', there's no stopping them from doing that and sharing their .SAV files. :P I guess that doesn't apply as much to portraits though, if they're based on a photo (I'm not sure if the one you posted is, looks pretty decent though).
-Basti-

Post by -Basti- »

And how about TNA-Wrestling? As a smaller promotion, they might be even pleased with some "extra audience".
tepples

Post by tepples »

To use TNA wrestlers, you'll need a license from TNA. To score this license, you'll need to exhibit a playable copy of your game with generic characters. To make this playable copy, you'll need to have drawn animations of generic characters performing wrestling moves.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Man, tepples sure wants to see those animations...!
cartlemmy

Post by cartlemmy »

Yup, animating is the hard part. Programmers will probably be a lot more interested if you show that you can animate well.
-Basti-

Post by -Basti- »

Ok, then i will firstly do a walking and finisher animation of Kurt Angle to show you i´m serious about it.
-Basti-

Post by -Basti- »

Which of these styles do yo like most?

Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

Non-scrolling would probably be the easiest to do & still be enjoyable.
-Basti-

Post by -Basti- »

Well I must admit most of you were right. Animating Wrestlingmoves is far too difficult for me at this time.
Sorry for disappointing you :(