HD Pack's Mesen

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ckyer85
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:46 pm

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by ckyer85 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:57 pm

mkwong98 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:20 am
Can you get the original HD pack to work on Mesen? And does your new image use 4x scale as the original? If your answer is "Yes" to both questions, then you can simply replace the original image with yours.
I remade all those sprites on top of the sprite sheet that was in the download pack. So everything should be the same size. It's just when I go to install the zip file as the HD Pack nothing shows up.

mkwong98
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by mkwong98 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:15 am

ckyer85 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:57 pm
I remade all those sprites on top of the sprite sheet that was in the download pack. So everything should be the same size. It's just when I go to install the zip file as the HD Pack nothing shows up.
There are a few things that you can check:
1. The "Use HDNes HD packs" checkbox under "Video Options" is selected.
2. The folder containing the files has the same name as the rom file and is placed in the HdPacks directory.
3. The file name next to <img> tag in hires.txt file matches the png image used.

GBAGuy007
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:28 am

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by GBAGuy007 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:05 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I recently used a raspberry pi, Wiimote, and a homemade IR light chain to play duck hunt. It's great and I love it but I would love a remastered version of duck hunt even more and what y'all are doing with Mesen seems like a viable way to do it. I surprisingly haven't found any HD packs for it yet, but I did find some sprites and a backdrop from this dude (https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-26113.html), along with a more complex background here (https://www.boredpanda.com/nes-games-sc ... es-moncayo). The latter of the two I was given permission to use and I'm still waiting on permission for the first. After finding these I watched some tutorials on how to record the sprites but as someone else mentioned they turned into a garbled mess, and I mean really garbled (https://imgur.com/0mxiaTf), I don't even know how I would begin unscrambling them. If anyone could give some pointers or tell me if someone else has already done this I would be greatly appreciative. Also, if anyone would be willing to do commissions I would love to know how much it would cost. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: For some reason imgur thinks the garbled sprite is mature content so I attached it
Attachments
ezgif-2-4cb241aeb2a0.png
ezgif-2-4cb241aeb2a0.png (14.26 KiB) Viewed 10193 times

ckyer85
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:46 pm

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by ckyer85 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:14 pm

mkwong98 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:15 am
ckyer85 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:57 pm
I remade all those sprites on top of the sprite sheet that was in the download pack. So everything should be the same size. It's just when I go to install the zip file as the HD Pack nothing shows up.
There are a few things that you can check:
1. The "Use HDNes HD packs" checkbox under "Video Options" is selected.
2. The folder containing the files has the same name as the rom file and is placed in the HdPacks directory.
3. The file name next to <img> tag in hires.txt file matches the png image used.
That was exactly it! I had to change the name of the file. Thank you! It has some bugs but it does look cool.

mkwong98
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by mkwong98 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:09 am

GBAGuy007 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:05 pm
Hi, I'm new here. I recently used a raspberry pi, Wiimote, and a homemade IR light chain to play duck hunt. It's great and I love it but I would love a remastered version of duck hunt even more and what y'all are doing with Mesen seems like a viable way to do it. I surprisingly haven't found any HD packs for it yet, but I did find some sprites and a backdrop from this dude (https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-26113.html), along with a more complex background here (https://www.boredpanda.com/nes-games-sc ... es-moncayo). The latter of the two I was given permission to use and I'm still waiting on permission for the first. After finding these I watched some tutorials on how to record the sprites but as someone else mentioned they turned into a garbled mess, and I mean really garbled (https://imgur.com/0mxiaTf), I don't even know how I would begin unscrambling them. If anyone could give some pointers or tell me if someone else has already done this I would be greatly appreciative. Also, if anyone would be willing to do commissions I would love to know how much it would cost. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: For some reason imgur thinks the garbled sprite is mature content so I attached it
You can try my editor. Remeber to read the tutorial in there to get a better idea of the process:
https://github.com/mkwong98/HDNes-Graph ... r/releases

And you may need the latest Mesen release:
https://github.com/mkwong98/Mesen/releases

GaboElChoropan
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:11 pm

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by GaboElChoropan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:17 pm

ckyer85 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:51 pm
I'm new here and I found out about the Super Mario HD Pack and reworked the sprites to look like instruction manual sprites. Does anyone know how to make this work? I followed the grid I made by using MKWong98s version. Any help would be appreciated, I would love everyone to play this. I added a pic of the sprites.

Image
Hey, can you please give me that image file to test it?

GBAGuy007
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:28 am

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by GBAGuy007 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:02 am

mkwong98 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:09 am
GBAGuy007 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:05 pm
Hi, I'm new here. I recently used a raspberry pi, Wiimote, and a homemade IR light chain to play duck hunt. It's great and I love it but I would love a remastered version of duck hunt even more and what y'all are doing with Mesen seems like a viable way to do it. I surprisingly haven't found any HD packs for it yet, but I did find some sprites and a backdrop from this dude (https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-26113.html), along with a more complex background here (https://www.boredpanda.com/nes-games-sc ... es-moncayo). The latter of the two I was given permission to use and I'm still waiting on permission for the first. After finding these I watched some tutorials on how to record the sprites but as someone else mentioned they turned into a garbled mess, and I mean really garbled (https://imgur.com/0mxiaTf), I don't even know how I would begin unscrambling them. If anyone could give some pointers or tell me if someone else has already done this I would be greatly appreciative. Also, if anyone would be willing to do commissions I would love to know how much it would cost. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: For some reason imgur thinks the garbled sprite is mature content so I attached it
You can try my editor. Remeber to read the tutorial in there to get a better idea of the process:
https://github.com/mkwong98/HDNes-Graph ... r/releases

And you may need the latest Mesen release:
https://github.com/mkwong98/Mesen/releases
I appreciate your help, after following the tutorial, I found that you can only add sprites that are exactly the same size as their original, but my sprites are slightly different: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JPIVzo ... sp=sharing, is there a way I can still add them, or would I be better off just remaking the game?

mkwong98
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by mkwong98 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:55 am

GBAGuy007 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:02 am
I appreciate your help, after following the tutorial, I found that you can only add sprites that are exactly the same size as their original, but my sprites are slightly different: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JPIVzo ... sp=sharing, is there a way I can still add them, or would I be better off just remaking the game?
You can't expand the size of sprites in the HD pack but you can change the sprites to fit the original or you can hack the rom to add more tiles to the sprites.

GBAGuy007
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:28 am

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by GBAGuy007 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:18 pm

mkwong98 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:55 am
GBAGuy007 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:02 am
I appreciate your help, after following the tutorial, I found that you can only add sprites that are exactly the same size as their original, but my sprites are slightly different: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JPIVzo ... sp=sharing, is there a way I can still add them, or would I be better off just remaking the game?
You can't expand the size of sprites in the HD pack but you can change the sprites to fit the original or you can hack the rom to add more tiles to the sprites.
Thanks so much for all your help! I got a nearly complete version of my HD Pack up and running thanks to your tool and I should be uploading within the week! Is there a place you would recommend uploading? I see several people uploading on RomHacking.net but I don't know if that's the recommended place or not.

mkwong98
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by mkwong98 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:59 pm

GBAGuy007 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:18 pm
Thanks so much for all your help! I got a nearly complete version of my HD Pack up and running thanks to your tool and I should be uploading within the week! Is there a place you would recommend uploading? I see several people uploading on RomHacking.net but I don't know if that's the recommended place or not.
You can announce your pack on Personal Projects section of the RomHacking.net forum but can only upload there if the pack relates to rom hacking. Rom hacking in HD pack is usually for replacing audio in games. I usually upload packs to file sharing services.

mkwong98
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by mkwong98 » Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 pm

I have found a youtube video of a HD pack for Circus Charlie, but can't find the original announcement of the pack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urB2C2P1R1Q

Does anyone know more about this?

User avatar
Gilbert
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by Gilbert » Wed May 12, 2021 10:20 pm

Have you tried checking the links under the video's description (may need to click "more" first)? At least one of the pages contain a couple of descriptions (in Spanish, or whatever similar language that I am not able to read and too lazy to use Google Translate) and the download of the pack at the bottom. maybe there are some information?

mkwong98
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by mkwong98 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:00 am

Gilbert wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:20 pm
Have you tried checking the links under the video's description (may need to click "more" first)? At least one of the pages contain a couple of descriptions (in Spanish, or whatever similar language that I am not able to read and too lazy to use Google Translate) and the download of the pack at the bottom. maybe there are some information?
Google Translate gives me this:
"The mod maker is a member of the immortalgames community which has recently updated its mod. The basic game didn't change that much. It starts like the original classic title but graphically it looks like a video game from another console, it is completely the aesthetic change of the game, this change gives it a fresh touch and encourages you to play this classic again, a great and incredible experience for lovers of retro."

I assume "immortalgames" is "Inmortalgames" in the site name and the author is one of the members?

zevs_7
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:33 am

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by zevs_7 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:33 am

Megaman: Super - 16-bit Graphics Pack (Old Name: Mega Man 1 - 30th Anniversary 16-bit Graphic Pack):
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index. ... ic=25426.0

User avatar
físgalo
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by físgalo » Sat May 29, 2021 1:01 pm

mkwong98 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:00 am
Gilbert wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:20 pm
Have you tried checking the links under the video's description (may need to click "more" first)? At least one of the pages contain a couple of descriptions (in Spanish, or whatever similar language that I am not able to read and too lazy to use Google Translate) and the download of the pack at the bottom. maybe there are some information?
Google Translate gives me this:
"The mod maker is a member of the immortalgames community which has recently updated its mod. The basic game didn't change that much. It starts like the original classic title but graphically it looks like a video game from another console, it is completely the aesthetic change of the game, this change gives it a fresh touch and encourages you to play this classic again, a great and incredible experience for lovers of retro."

I assume "immortalgames" is "Inmortalgames" in the site name and the author is one of the members?
A bit late, but I checked and yeah, it doesn't give any names or more info than you read, and yes, inmmortalgames it's the site name, and just that. I even check the discord and there isn't more info.

Post Reply