HD Pack's Mesen

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by thefox »

mkwong98 wrote:
thefox wrote:It seems like something that could be done by looking at the connectedness of the hardware sprites at runtime (i.e., which ones appear next to others, and how often).
There are a few obstacles that I can think of:
1. The object is moving near the edge of the screen and some of the tiles may go outside the screen. 2. The same tile appears multiple times in several poses of the same object.
3. Tiles within the same object overlap each other (various characters in Double Dragons II)
4. Tiles within the same object are not fixed relative to each other (white dragon in Castlevania)
5. Two objects appears to be connected (Mario holding a shell in SMB3)
6. Objects using the background layer
Yeah, I know it's not trivial. You'd have to apply some heuristics (that is, don't just pick a layout based on one frame, look at multiple frames and see what is the most coherent) but it still wouldn't be perfect.

(1) Could be special-cased by placing less emphasis on stuff at the very edges of the screen.
(2) Not much can be done here, except to indicate to the user that the tile is shared. Or have some special code in the HD pack support that can "unshare" those tiles when it sees they are connected to some other known tiles.

I'd expect it to need some manual adjustment, but at least it could provide a starting point.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
zevs_7

Post by zevs_7 »

mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

Found one for Pac-Man on GitHub:
https://github.com/PepCodes/HDNes-Graphics-Pac
zevs_7

Post by zevs_7 »

zevs_7

Post by zevs_7 »

pepillopev

Post by pepillopev »

Sour wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 pm kya has made another CV pack at 2x resolution and with .ogg audio tracks - he's essentially waiting for me to release version 0.9.5 to release his work, since it requires some new HD pack features that aren't available in 0.9.4. There's also another person working on HD packs for Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2. And also this Megaman 1 pack by AxlRocks.

I think that's more or less all of the available and/or in-development HD packs at the moment.
Sour, any plans to add seamless OGG looping? Much like MSU-1 you can seamless loop PCM files back to a specific spot?
lyonhrt

Post by lyonhrt »

Any packs missing from this list, i do have some packs that have been hanging around on my hdd for over a year which i'm hoping to work on this week.
Quick question, is the transparency for background images allowing for parallax effects using multiple images? And is that in the current version?
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

lyonhrt

Post by lyonhrt »

not sure where to post this, but mkwong98, finally making a pack with the latest hdpackeditor and theres an error with framerange saving incorrectly (as hex) and crashing when more than 9 frames
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

lyonhrt wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:51 pm not sure where to post this, but mkwong98, finally making a pack with the latest hdpackeditor and theres an error with framerange saving incorrectly (as hex) and crashing when more than 9 frames
Thanks, I updated the editor to use dec when pack version is 103 or above. Please see if this fixes that problem.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BDpCn ... fpy3SIVXjQ
lyonhrt

Post by lyonhrt »

Thanks i'll test it out, the tool is a life saver, with version 106 of the hdpack already available in dev builds of mesen, its features are increasing and more than capable of doing a 16bit style graphic pack so anything to speed it up and optimising the packs is a blessing.

I did find a minor bug, though need to confirm where if you post a tile in game objects, then copy that tile and paste, the palette replaces the ff with 00, not sure if anyone else has found that
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

lyonhrt wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:24 pm Thanks i'll test it out, the tool is a life saver, with version 106 of the hdpack already available in dev builds of mesen, its features are increasing and more than capable of doing a 16bit style graphic pack so anything to speed it up and optimising the packs is a blessing.

I did find a minor bug, though need to confirm where if you post a tile in game objects, then copy that tile and paste, the palette replaces the ff with 00, not sure if anyone else has found that
Thank you for using the editor!
Is the object a background object? In that case the editor replaces colour 0 with the background colour.
lyonhrt

Post by lyonhrt »

Yeah first time i thought i'd use it for a big hdnes pack (after accidentally corrupting it doing it by hand!), and no everything is set to sprite, its odd, as long as you don't copy from an already pasted tile, its fine

update i just realised why, you copy it from rom viewer with correct palette, IF you then copy it from game objects it will copy what ever the bg colour is set (default being 00)
lyonhrt

Post by lyonhrt »

mkwong found another error with hdnespackeditor, took me a while to figure it, if you change the file name in hires.txt after you have saved it with a different name under generating, it will load with an error and just crash (i managed to figure it seeing same error with older version saying the file name in question)
ArtInPinkerton

Post by ArtInPinkerton »

Question, I have been fiddling with Double Dragon and Might & Magic, I have noticed that certain sprites are not showing transparent when using extraced HD textures. Example, for Double Dragon, I created the PNGs and then immediately reloaded the game using those PNGs as the "HD pack" and the character sprites were surrounded by white like in the PNG as opposed to not being visible.

Is there some option I"m missing for this? I want to start making HD packs but this has stopped me in my tracks?

EDIT: Upon examining other HD packs, I notice that the PNGs are 24bit to enable transparency. Does this mean Mesen saves are 32bit only? This wouldn't solve the white surrounding character sprites though. I am experimenting with making these transparent manually to make sure that works.

EDIT2: I see that the Dev build fixes the white box issue. I might recommend that there is an options to have the pink (unused space) be transparent too. yes it isn't "seen" by the editor, but when I'm upscaling I have to delete the pink first (making it transparent).

Martin