HD Pack's Mesen

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

bogaa

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by bogaa »

zevs_7

Post by zevs_7 »

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

zevs_7 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:42 am The Legend of Zelda by Aclectico:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=31559.0
Wow I usually really dislike those HD packs, but this one really appeals to me!
keanine

Post by keanine »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here could help with pack creation? Is it a case of manually editing the hires.txt to create a nice layout or are there any tools that can make the process smoother?
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

keanine wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:06 am Hey, I was wondering if anyone here could help with pack creation? Is it a case of manually editing the hires.txt to create a nice layout or are there any tools that can make the process smoother?
I have a tool:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BDpCn ... fpy3SIVXjQ
keanine

Post by keanine »

mkwong98 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:26 pm I have a tool:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BDpCn ... fpy3SIVXjQ
Thanks a lot! I didn't end up using the tool as much as I thought I would but it really helped me in understanding the format

There's a bunch more that I need to do but it's looking at least presentable now. I decided to try and make SMB if it were made by Nintendo after they forgot 8 bit sprites had palette restrictions. It uses some Odyssey and Mario Maker sprites, but for the most part it's inspired recolours. The big thing I still don't understand is sound replacement, where could I find the information to do that? Thanks again!

mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

https://www.mesen.ca/docs/hdpacks.html# ... o-in-games

To replace the audio, you need to know when the game is sending the music start signal and the music stop signal to the sound engine of the game, then you need hack the ROM to stop that process and send a signal to special registers which is recognized by Mesen. The emulator will pick up that signal and play a music file instead. Each game has its own sound engine so you have to study the game you are working on. People who create NSF file will know more about this so you can as for help there and romhacking.net has a few documents on SMB which you can take a look too.
GabeDuncan777

Post by GabeDuncan777 »

mkwong98 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 pm
Sour wrote:As far as I know, the tiles in that picture are organized in a neat manner because someone organized them manually
Yes, I organized them manually. I use the raw sprite sheet to see which tiles need work. Once I make the replacement for a group of connected tiles, I add the replacement to another sheet and remove the tiles from the raw sheet. So the tiles in the final sprite sheet are organized.
thefox wrote:It seems like something that could be done by looking at the connectedness of the hardware sprites at runtime (i.e., which ones appear next to others, and how often).
There are a few obstacles that I can think of:
1. The object is moving near the edge of the screen and some of the tiles may go outside the screen. 2. The same tile appears multiple times in several poses of the same object.
3. Tiles within the same object overlap each other (various characters in Double Dragons II)
4. Tiles within the same object are not fixed relative to each other (white dragon in Castlevania)
5. Two objects appears to be connected (Mario holding a shell in SMB3)
6. Objects using the background layer
"Can you make "HDPacks" for the Japanese versions of "Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse" and "Contra/Super C" please? I tried to make some myself and it ended in failure."
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

GabeDuncan777 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:44 am "Can you make "HDPacks" for the Japanese versions of "Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse" and "Contra/Super C" please? I tried to make some myself and it ended in failure."
I'm not good at making new replacement graphics. Can you provide them?
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

bogaa

Post by bogaa »

Zeldix does have a page to submit HD packs. I did just discover that.
https://www.zeldix.net/f86-mesen-hd-and ... s-database
ShotGlass

Post by ShotGlass »

bogaa wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:51 pm Zeldix does have a page to submit HD packs. I did just discover that.
https://www.zeldix.net/f86-mesen-hd-and ... s-database
This will be a fantastic resource to populate with HD packs. Great find!
teeawgo

Post by teeawgo »

Do we know if there's a Dragon Warrior pack in the works? That would be awesome.
ckyer85

Post by ckyer85 »

I'm new here and I found out about the Super Mario HD Pack and reworked the sprites to look like instruction manual sprites. Does anyone know how to make this work? I followed the grid I made by using MKWong98s version. Any help would be appreciated, I would love everyone to play this. I added a pic of the sprites.

mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

Can you get the original HD pack to work on Mesen? And does your new image use 4x scale as the original? If your answer is "Yes" to both questions, then you can simply replace the original image with yours.