Dev tools: MAPeD-SPReD [win/linux]

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

pwnskar

Re: Dev tools: MAPeD(NES), SPReD(NES)

Post by pwnskar »

This looks really cool!

I'm trying out SPReD and I like how you've made the viewport zoom and panable. The GUI is overall very good looking I would say!
Loading some of the files from the data folder seems to work fine but I find myself struggling with understanding how to make something from scratch.
  • * Is there no way to load in my own CHR data? Does it have to be imported from a png?

* How do I cycle CHR banks when building my sprites?
If you were to add the ability to import raw CHR and palette data, make it more clear how to switch banks and add a JSON export I think the tool would become much more user friendly. I understand if you feel satisfied with how the tool works now and just wanted to share it. Thanks for doing so! :)

I'll definitely check out MAPeD at some point!

Cheers!
0x8BitDev

Post by 0x8BitDev »

pwnskar wrote:I find myself struggling with understanding how to make something from scratch.
  • * Is there no way to load in my own CHR data? Does it have to be imported from a png?

* How do I cycle CHR banks when building my sprites?
If you were to add the ability to import raw CHR and palette data, make it more clear how to switch banks and add a JSON export I think the tool would become much more user friendly.
Thank you for your feedback!

To make something from scratch is quite easy.

1) Select sprite mode do you want to work with: 8x8 by default or 8x16
2) Menu: Sprite -> Create New or RMB on the Sprite List -> Create New
3) Select created sprite
4) Press the "Draw" button ( or Alt+D ) to enable drawing mode
5) Select a color and draw something...

After creating each sprite has its own CHR bank. You can make a copy of your sprite in two ways: full copy or reference. Full copy ( "Create Copy" or Alt+C ) will have a separate CHR bank. Reference ( "Create Ref" or Alt+E ) shares the same CHR bank as original sprite.

You can import raw CHR bank: File->Import, select 'CHR bank (*.chr, *.bin)' then you have to press the "Build" button ( or Alt+B ) and construct your sprite dragging selected CHRs to layout window using a RMB.

Also you can import sprites from 4 colors bmp or png images. File->Import, select '4 colors image (*.png, *.bmp)'.

Palette data can't be imported at the moment. But I'm going to add this feature.
[UPD] Custom palette import added. The latest development build can be found here.

As for JSON format... How do you plan to use it ?
Last edited by 0x8BitDev on Thu May 09, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0x8BitDev

Post by 0x8BitDev »

If anybody can help me with Linux versions ( compiling prepared solutions and writing makefiles for NES samples based on 'compile.bat' files ), please, write me PM, I would appreciate it.

p.s.: Monodevelop and CC65 ( CA65/LD65 ) need to be installed on your Linux machine.

[UPD] p.p.s.: I need someone who can load fixed C# solutions in Monodevelop and press the "Build" button. No programming required!

[UPD] The question is still open :)
[UPD] The question is closed...
0x8BitDev

Post by 0x8BitDev »

NOOPr wrote: Tried to run on Linux with wine and mono but none worked...too bad
Banshaku wrote: From the error message, it's because the app uses somewere specific win32 things in shell32 or something like that and mono doesn't like that (maybe file related, need to check the code and error again). If those would be removed, there is good chances that it would work.
tepples wrote:In that case, I am unable to provide feedback on these tools.
I've tried to run the tools on Linux ( Ubuntu 16.04.6 desktop i386 ) with the latest Mono ( v5.20.1.19 ) and... UI looks really ugly, awful ( stretched in width, fonts sizes... ), but they work !.. Also solutions build well in the latest Monodevelop ( 7.8.2 build 2 ).

Guys, I need your help! Could you please install the latest Mono / Monodevelop and try to run the last public beta on Github and try to build the sources coming with the beta in release section. Please, let me know.

p.s.: just in case the Linux screenshot
NOOPr

Post by NOOPr »

Guys, I need your help! Could you please install the latest Mono / Monodevelop and try to run the last public beta on Github
I've updated my Mono to 5.20.1.19 and it runs.
and try to build the sources coming with the beta in release section. Please, let me know.
I can try to compile but you have to gimme the directions to build it since I'm not familiar with C#
0x8BitDev

Post by 0x8BitDev »

NOOPr wrote: I've updated my Mono to 5.20.1.19 and it runs.
Thank you!
NOOPr wrote: I can try to compile but you have to gimme the directions to build it since I'm not familiar with C#
The directions are quite simple:
  • - Install the latest Monodevelop 7.8.2
    - Run it
    - Open the solution: .\src\MAPeD\MAPeD(NES).sln
    - Menu: Run -> Start Without Debugging
BTW, I've fixed the GUI issues on Linux. Now the tools look almost like on Windows. I hope this week I'll have done either dev build or another public beta with Linux support. It depends on results...
Last edited by 0x8BitDev on Tue May 14, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOOPr

Post by NOOPr »

I couldn't build the sources from v0.5b...I got this error:

Code: Select all

Symbol file /usr/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll.mdb doesn't match image /usr/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll
Cannot open assembly '/tmp/MAPeD-SPReD-0.5-beta/bin/MAPeD%28NES%29.exe': No such file or directory.
But I could build and run from the master branch.

I got these warns for MAPeD:

/usr/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Warning MSB3256: No assemblies were read in from the redist lists. A TargetFramework profile exclusion list could not be generated.  (MSB3256) (MAPeD-NES)
/usr/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "System.Runtime.Serialization.Json". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. (MSB3245) (MAPeD-NES)
And this one for SPReD:

/usr/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Warning MSB3256: No assemblies were read in from the redist lists. A TargetFramework profile exclusion list could not be generated.  (MSB3256) (SPReD-NES)
BTW, I have no played with it yet, but seems to run very fine.
0x8BitDev

Post by 0x8BitDev »

NOOPr wrote:I couldn't build the sources from v0.5b...
Yes, with old names there may be compilation errors. But sometimes they compile... :? So I've renamed the projects to avoid errors on Linux.
0x8BitDev

Re: Dev tools: MAPeD-NES, SPReD-NES [win/linux]

Post by 0x8BitDev »

The new public beta v0.54b with Linux support is available.

More detailed info in the README file.
So, please, test it and feel free to ask any questions.

Warning: It's not necessary to rebuild the tools on Linux if you don't want to make any changes in sources. You can use the same executables files on Windows and Linux.

P.S.: Does anybody can test the apps on Mac with the latest Mono ?..
JordiGH

Re: Dev tools: MAPeD-SPReD [win/linux]

Post by JordiGH »

Is this usable on its own to edit an INES file's tiles? Or do I need to do my own import/export from an INES file?

I've been looking high and low for a good way to get into sprite hacking and there didn't seem to be any tool out there I could use. I was about to start shaving the giant yak of making my own, until I found this, which looks almost exactly like what I want! Linux support is a big priority for me.
pwnskar

Post by pwnskar »

JordiGH wrote:Is this usable on its own to edit an INES file's tiles? Or do I need to do my own import/export from an INES file?
These tools are meant to be used for making graphics from scratch for new projects, using it's own specific formats. I think you would have little luck using it for any hacking of an existing rom unless you first identify where and how the metasprite data is stored for that specific game. You would then have to convert it to a format usable by SPReD to make your edits and then convert it back and figure out a way to inject it back into the original rom file, possibly even having to disassemble and reassemble it. It might end up being a much more difficult task than you would hope for but it is doable.
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

This tool is awesome. NO SPAMMERZ ALLOWED!!!
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
0x8BitDev

Post by 0x8BitDev »

Hamtaro126 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:22 am This tool is awesome. NO SPAMMERZ ALLOWED!!!
allenb72894 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:34 pm This dev tool looks cool. Very interesting to use in making new projects. Spammy Projectile Regular A Spam
Thanks! Try to use the development build, cause it has some features which haven't been released yet:
  • Quick guide on both MAPeD / SPReD (Menu->Help->Quick Guide or F1)
  • Python scripts editor also supported for both MAPeD / SPReD with documented API, so you can export any data in your custom format
  • Sorry for offtop :roll: SMS version of SPReD (without samples so far)
Last edited by tepples on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Neutralized link in quoted spam
Punch

Post by Punch »

This is great. Gonna try it out when I get home :D
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Suggestion.

Make the default palette
0f, 00, 10, 30

for all palettes. Instead of all 0s

Including when loading a MapEd file and the palette fails to load.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES