Looking for a pixel artist for a collaborative NES game

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

bitmojo

Looking for a pixel artist for a collaborative NES game

Post by bitmojo »

Hello, everyone.

I'm a video game programmer with a vast experience on mobile games. Currently working on a mobile game company and earning decent money. Personally, i don't like mobile games a bit, but hey, i gotta make a living, right?

It has always been my dream to make a NES style platformer game, kind of like Shovel Knight or the upcoming Cyber Shadow. I have already a great idea for a platformer game, and i'm confident that with my programming skills it can be done. The only problem is, i really suck at drawing pixel art :lol: . So i'm looking for an artist to work in collaboration and make my project alive.

I'm thinking BIG here. My goal is to release it on every platform possible (PC, PS4, XBOX, SWITCH, and even Android and iOS). And who knows, maybe we'll draw the attention of a major publisher like Yacht Club Games and agree to make a deal with us :wink:

What i'm looking for specifically is to emulate the art style of NES games like Ninja Gaiden, Batman and Castlevania
bitmojo

Re: Looking for a pixel artist for a collaborative NES game

Post by bitmojo »

To let you know i'm serious about my idea, i'm posting some characters and an animation i made. Feel free to critisize it, as i told you i suck and drawing pixel art
Attachments
rick_running.gif
rick_running.gif (1.13 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
rick_6_idle.png
rick_6_idle.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
mariko_idle.png
mariko_idle.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Looks good.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
bitmojo

Post by bitmojo »

The pictures i uploaded were a bit small to see, so here i'm uploading them again upscaled :P
Attachments
rick_running.gif
rick_running.gif (7.52 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
rick_idle.png
rick_idle.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
mariko_idle.png
mariko_idle.png (1.28 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

I would probably enjoy working on your project. But I am really trying to focus on my own projects; I've got my own game I'm trying to build and release.
But I am interested, so, maybe I'll help out. I can't work full time or anything, but I might be able to contribute some environment art so long as you are not overly concerned about a deadline.
That is to say; sure, I'll help, but you probably want more than just me.

Here's a thread where I was making some Castlevania-style art for a project I don't think I'll ever finish: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13692
bitmojo

Post by bitmojo »

Thanks, Marscaleb. Any help would be appreciated.

I've also been in contact with Daniel García, who´s been doing the art for a Kickstarter game called Steel Assault. Later that game changed it's art style to a Genesys kind, and ended up donating his 8-bit assets of that game to Cyber Shadow. He works by fee however, and i'm still not ready to pay for work that would be discarded in the future.

In the meantime, i have been practicing my drawing skills and came out with my first scene mockup. Here it is:

screen.png

Work has been slow because i'm doing it on my free time, and as i told before, i'm a total noob regarding pixel art. I'ts been a fun experience however, and i'm gonna persevere even if it takes me a hundred years.

My main inspirations for this game are Batman, Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden for NES