Megaman 4 Nes Toad Man Graphic

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

kevinibujes

Megaman 4 Nes Toad Man Graphic

Post by kevinibujes »

Greetings to all who read my question. I'm doing a megaman 4 nes rom hack using MEGAFLEX to edit the whole game with different graphics, but I have a problem and it is with the Toad Man stage. I would like to remove the wind effect and also be able to remove the settings that make any color look like the image I share. The problem is only with the Toad Man stage, I would really appreciate it if you could help me how to do this procedure. :D :D :) :)
Attachments
Mega Mario 202103232303009.bmp
Mega Mario 202103232303009.bmp (61.05 KiB) Viewed 8189 times
puppydrum64

Re: Megaman 4 Nes Toad Man Graphic

Post by puppydrum64 »

I'm guessing what's going on here is that on Toad Man's stage, to simulate the rain being in the foreground, the sprites are all set up to be drawn "behind" the background. This setting is in the sprites' attribute data. I don't know what section of RAM is assigned to OAM on Mega Man 4 unfortunately. (I'm guessing it's somewhere between $0200 and $07FF)

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PPU_OAM

Byte 2 is what controls this. Assuming MM4's OAM ranges from 0200 to 02FF this code should work (I'm not good at writing loops so hopefully you'll understand what I'm trying to say):

LDA #0
STA temp
Loop:
LDA temp
asl
asl
tax
LDA $0202,x
and #%11011111
STA $0202,x
inc temp
lda temp
cmp #64
bne Loop

This should put Mega Man and all game sprites in front of the background. Keep in mind that sprites are drawn on top of "color zero" regardless of bit 5 of the sprite's OAM attribute settings.

Speaking of color zero, it appears to be black, which isn't what you want. I'd swap black with sky blue in your palettes