NES Screen Tool

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Hamtaro126

Re: NES Screen Tool

Post by Hamtaro126 »

I am not 100% if qbradq will finish the tool that he mentioned one time, so can you please support Nintendo's RLE format for PPU data as seen in the Black Box and Mario series, qbradq and Orbit2002 uses this as well:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10676

It will be more complete after that.
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
lazerbeat

Post by lazerbeat »

This is more of a linux / wine issue than related to this tool so sorry if it is a bit off topic. I had a hell of a time getting NES screen tool to work on WINE as the drive mappings weren't configuring correctly. It took me a couple of hours to figure out. Doing this (NOTE THIS WILL REMOVE YOUR WINE FOLDER) :
sudo rm -rvf ~/.wine
Then re opening NST in WINE, downloaded a couple of things and then it worked fine! Might help someone out in the future.
Last edited by lazerbeat on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

lazerbeat wrote:This is more of a linux / wine issue than related to this tool so sorry if it is a bit off topic. I had a hell of a time getting NES screen tool to work on WINE as the drive mappings weren't configuring correctly. It took me a couple of hours to figure out. Doing this :
sudo rm -rvf ~/.wine
Then re opening NST in WINE, downloaded a couple of things and then it worked fine! Might help someone out in the future.
Whoa! Hold up there - while this probably worked for you, don't let anyone go blindly copying that. There could be things a Wine user might care about in there they might not know about. That completely nukes your Wine folder!
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

mv ~/.wine ~/WineBackup would be a safer recommendation, at the risk of filling up your homedir with random crap.

I wish I knew how to trigger wine to ask the "Do you want to install Gecko? How about Mono?" dialog, after you already had an install.
lazerbeat

Post by lazerbeat »

mikejmoffitt wrote: Whoa! Hold up there - while this probably worked for you, don't let anyone go blindly copying that. There could be things a Wine user might care about in there they might not know about. That completely nukes your Wine folder!
Sorry, that is a good point. I literally only use wine for a couple of NES utilities so it is very low risk for me. I updated the OP with that disclaimer.
Punch

Post by Punch »

So, I'm trying to figure out the Metasprite format the program outputs with no luck. Could someone please explain to me how it is formatted, and why it is a huge file?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Punch wrote:So, I'm trying to figure out the Metasprite format the program outputs with no luck. Could someone please explain to me how it is formatted, and why it is a huge file?
My quick notes from a while back:
myself wrote: msp file format:

originX: byte
originY: byte

after this comes 256 metasprite definitions. each metasprite definition takes 256 bytes
so the total size of the file is 256*256+2 =~ 64KB

yCoord: .byte (note: subtract origin to get the value shown in NST)
tile: .byte
attribs: .byte
xCoord: .byte

if the yCoord is $FF, the sprite is not visible.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tsu

Post by tsu »

I'm requesting a feature for Nes Screen Tool:
At the very bottom left of the screen, under the nametable, where it shows the ppu address offset. Could you please make the offset clickable, so the base nametable becomes adjusted? So it can show $4xx/$8xx/$cxx too?
Iknow it's fairly easy to calculate the differance mentally, but it's slowing me down when I have to remember 4 different numbers ( base high byte, low byte, tile number, run length count of tile if sequential.
I was about to take a peek in the source code to see if I could hack it in; but my c is rusty.
lazerbeat

Post by lazerbeat »

I adore NESst, using it daily at the moment! Would a "clear nametable" function like the "clear" function for the .chr files be possible?
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

This tool is wonderful. But saving CHR can be confusing if one doesn't pay a lot of attention and it looks like a bug, although it isn't. It's more of a usability issue. I loaded two 4kb CHR to each bank, and I selected the "Save CHR" function, but it automatically had 4kb selected as file size. It is very easy to miss that you can change to 8kb. Why doesn't it automatically select the appropriate size?
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I just keep the two 4 kB CHR files separate in my project. One for each pattern table.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

lazerbeat wrote:I adore NESst, using it daily at the moment! Would a "clear nametable" function like the "clear" function for the .chr files be possible?
Select tile to clear with, hold shift, select whole screen, press CTRL+F to fill selection.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I've been wondering this for a while, so I'm just going to ask, how feasible would it be to add zoom functionality to the NES Screen Tool Metasprite tool.

I don't know if there's something different about my setup or what, but I don't see how one could do pixel perfect placement of tiles at pixel resolution.
thefox

Post by thefox »

darryl.revok wrote:I've been wondering this for a while, so I'm just going to ask, how feasible would it be to add zoom functionality to the NES Screen Tool Metasprite tool.
Yeah, that would be nice. For the time being, you can use Windows Magnifier to work around the issue.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

thefox wrote:Windows Magnifier
I forgot that this exists!!! Thanks for the reminder. I haven't used this thing in years, but i often find myself squinting close to the screen because I want to count pixels.