Something I noticed while making tiles.

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian A

Something I noticed while making tiles.

Post by Ian A »

I was switching my game over from some "borrowed" place holder graphics to some more proper homemade graphics when I noticed something.

With Shadow:

Without Shadow:

To me, the image with the shadow from the grass conveys the ability to pass through the rocks. For example, you could be standing on the grass and then jump down to another platform with the rocks in the background.

The shadowless image, however, feels solid. It looks like you couldn't pass through it at all.

Just food for thought, I guess?

I'm still not satisfied with these tiles at all and I'll keep working, but if anyone is interested in anymore of the stuff, I'll certainly post again! Also, I'd be interested if anyone else had any thoughts on graphic composition.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

When I look at the tiles with the shadow, I don't see any cue that you could go through it. Maybe make the shadow thinner.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The problem is that you added the shadow below the grass but did not shade/light the sides of the rocks. Try darkening their left side and highlighting their right side and you'll see they'll look pretty solid, and much more interesting than the flat picture.

If you want your graphics to have depth, you can't be stingy with the tiles, you need to make different edges for the different sides because depending on the light source each side will look slightly different.
Ian A

Post by Ian A »

Okay, thanks dudes! It's good to get other people's opinions on things like this.

Now back to the pixel board to clean things up...