Untitled Eurydice Game

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Rolypoly890

Untitled Eurydice Game

Post by Rolypoly890 »

Been working on this for a little while, and I'm pretty pleased with how it's come along. A lot of the things I'm happy with are pretty basic (collision, an object system, scrolling between level screens and loading in new data, attributes etc) but they took a little while to implement and get right, so I'm happy with where it's at right now.

Scene complexity isn't quite yet where it could be, since there are more metatiles need to be defined that help break up repetitive structures and create new ones. I also owe Castlevania 1/2 a great debt for their use of negative space and seeing how they did brickwork!

Really the only placeholder here at the moment is the player sprite, which is just a palette swap of Zelda.

At the moment this is tentatively called Eurydice and is based on that myth, with inspiration for the art from black figure greek pottery

Eurydice.png
Goose2k

Re: Untitled Eurydice Game

Post by Goose2k »

Is this a mockup or a running game? Looks interesting. Would love to know more.
Rolypoly890

Re: Untitled Eurydice Game

Post by Rolypoly890 »

Goose2k wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:51 am Is this a mockup or a running game? Looks interesting. Would love to know more.
It's a running game, though only on emulator. The broad strokes of the game are that you play Eurydice, travelling through the underworld after her death towards Hades and Persephone.

I'm still experimenting with exactly how it's all working, but at the moment I'm leaning towards something a little Loom-esque, where you use songs to solve puzzles/manipulate the level as you go along. That's assuming I don't just decide to strip back the whole thing at some point to something much simpler and more manageable to try and avoid getting feature creeped...