Framework code WIP

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Re: Framework code WIP

Post by JRoatch »

Wanted to post this before the year end. So I pushed to get something presentable fast today.

Along with everything explained in the previous post. Here's the additions:
  • Upgraded the nametable compression format to now handle tile graphics much better. (more on this later)
  • Rom checksum program that may theoretically be triggered the same way as the "Codemasters smiley test"
  • This...
  • Again fixed some bugs in coredump and bumped it's version number to 1.4
  • Controller Test now works like I intended it to. Feedback on it's musical playability would be appreciated.
There's so much to clean up and work on before I can start any physics related thing, and unfortunately "Controller Test" is a smelly pile of copy paste code. I'm glad that 16-bit number computations are nicely handled with a data stack, but I wish I could find a way to represent state machines with something better then trees of branches.

Edit: Found a bug in Controller Test where you can not play a a-flat, but I'm not going to be fixing it today. Also found a colorful crashing bug when interacting with the menu of thefox's PowerMappers.
Attachments
2015-12-18_framework.zip
(53.55 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
thefox

Post by thefox »

43110 wrote:Edit: Found a bug in Controller Test where you can not play a a-flat, but I'm not going to be fixing it today. Also found a colorful crashing bug when interacting with the menu of thefox's PowerMappers.
Your bug or mine? :)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

thefox wrote:
43110 wrote:Edit: Found a bug in Controller Test where you can not play a a-flat, but I'm not going to be fixing it today. Also found a colorful crashing bug when interacting with the menu of thefox's PowerMappers.
Your bug or mine? :)
A little of both. I knew for awhile PowerMappers had difficulties saving and restoring APU state. I have a strange setup where the main logic happens in response to the APU frame IRQ. I'm thinking the IRQ handler is possibility looping infinitely and that there's no locking variable for it either, in which case that would be my fault. From that, the stack overflows to the attribute table buffer, NMI colors the screen, and the main threads no longer can be returned to.