It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:52 am 

Mods, move this one folder up to "Homebrew Projects", please. This isn't a competition thread anymore.

Last edited by Punch on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:31 am 

Are you still working on it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

I somehow forgot to say; what you've got so far looks amazing. I really like this one, so i hope to see this in next years', or even outside the compo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:33 pm 

pubby wrote:
Are you still working on it?

I am! I'm mostly working with the game's design on paper now than with code but it's (slowly) progressing.

FrankenGraphics wrote:
I somehow forgot to say; what you've got so far looks amazing. I really like this one, so i hope to see this in next years', or even outside the compo.

I'm glad you liked it, thanks :)
I'm not sure if this is going to be for the compo, maybe I'll submit it under Cat. #2 if they can actually fit my game into the cartridge because I'm almost sure that it will be very difficult to keep 32k as a size ceiling for my game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:49 am 

Wow this looks amazing ! I've been missing this so far because I don't look into the compo forums. I think it's probably a better usage of raycasting than a first-person shooter game, since

1) I don't personally like fist person shooters
2) It would be too slow for an action game anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Wow this looks amazing ! I've been missing this so far because I don't look into the compo forums. I think it's probably a better usage of raycasting than a first-person shooter game, since

1) I don't personally like fist person shooters
2) It would be too slow for an action game anyway.

It's not raycasting though, I'm just composing the screen with predefined tile maps for each possible viewing angle / distance of a wall.

Edit1: I tried to do an arbitrary 3-color wall texture with all prerendered angles fit into 128 characters but failed. Too bad. Guess I'll just use the plain look for now.

Edit2: Change of plans... I'll probably make Bank 1 the minimap + status bar + dungeon display graphics and use Bank 2 for the full text character table + sprites. Since I'm only displaying text on the bottom of the screen (the status bar shows stuff too but I'll change that soon) I'll just rely on Spr0 interrupt to swap banks, just like Pool of Radiance. (I wish my game could be as pretty as that one). Is there a UNROM like cartridge with bankswitchable Character ROM? That would be handy.

My test wall leaves as much as 90 characters free but I chose to use only 64 characters for the sidebar. I'll probably remove all text and leave only the needed characters for truncated indicators (HP DEF MAP), the symbols for the minimap and numbers 0-9. This makes dungeon graphics significantly less limited than the scheme I was using which allowed only for 128 chars. I'm arranging my wall renderings in a 256x240 bitmap with aesprite so I can just import it into shiru's NESST to get a character table without redundant tiles. It's a pain in the butt but I don't feel like writing tools for this right now :lol:

This is the wall graphics I've made (WIP):

As you can see the palette is quite nice, which by the way was a fatal mistake, it's hard to make it look that good on the actual NES palette... It looks ok if I use the two darkest grays (as it is intended to be a concrete wall) or gray + dark green for the highlight color which makes it look like a wall with moss/sludge (don't know the exact word).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 am 

Quote:
As you can see the palette is quite nice, which by the way was a fatal mistake, it's hard to make it look that good on the actual NES palette... It looks ok if I use the two darkest grays (as it is intended to be a concrete wall) or gray + dark green for the highlight color which makes it look like a wall with moss/sludge (don't know the exact word).
How about the palettes when color emphases are on?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:34 pm 

Punch wrote:
This is the wall graphics I've made (WIP):

These walls looks good so far!

I initially thought that the horizontal lines weren't perspective-aligned, but a quick measurement shows that I was mistaken.
It was likely those thicker lines throwing off my eyes.

I'll post my measurements, just on the off chance that they're helpful in some way:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 pm 

Punch wrote:
Is there a UNROM like cartridge with bankswitchable Character ROM? That would be handy.

There are two: UNROM 512 (30) and Holy Diver (78.3).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:12 pm 

Many more than just two