Marble Run

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Mika Haarahiltunen

Marble Run

Post by Mika Haarahiltunen »

Hello!

Marble Run is an NES game that I've been working on for some time and I think it is about done. I have tested this only on the FCEUX emulator, so there may be some bugs...

The idea is to collect all items and go to the exit as fast as possible. The game features 5 levels and some pretty smooth physics. Achieving a 3-star grade requires some non-obvious maneuvering, so each level has a "View Demo" feature that shows an example of how to achieve it for that level.

The NTSC ROM image and some screenshots are included as attachments.
Attachments
marble_run.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
marble_run-0.png
marble_run-0.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
marble_run-1.png
marble_run-1.png (1.58 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
marble_run-2.png
marble_run-2.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
marble_run-3.png
marble_run-3.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
dougeff

Re: Marble Run

Post by dougeff »

Looks fun. :D
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

That's cool. Thanks for sharing!
WhiteHat94

Post by WhiteHat94 »

Pretty fun little game, nice job. And it does indeed work just fine on console with Everdrive.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Once i saw it i knew i'd like it. It's super hard for me (i haven't beaten a single stage after 30 minutes) but it's still fun.
pubby

Post by pubby »

That's interesting! How did you do the physics?
Mika Haarahiltunen

Post by Mika Haarahiltunen »

pubby wrote:That's interesting! How did you do the physics?
The first thing that might be worth mentioning is that it uses a CORDIC algorithm for vector magnitude calculation and normalization. CORDIC is an old algorithm that is very versatile, but I hadn't even heard of it before I started working on this project.

Here is a nice description of the idea behind CORDIC: https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat ... cordic.pdf

Another thing might be the broad phase collision detection. Since the ball radius is constant, it has been included in the object AABBs. The object AABBs are sorted by their minimum x-coordinates in ascending order, which allows the broad phase to quickly figure out the last AABB to check. There is also an index list that allows the broad phase to quickly figure out the first AABB to check.

I included an NTSC ROM image for a test program that shows the broad phase in action.

In the test program:
- AABB corners are dark green, if the AABB is not checked in the broad phase
- AABB corners are light green, if the AABB is checked and rejected in the broad phase
- AABB corners are orange, if the AABB requires a narrow phase check

The rest is just calculating contact points and contact plane normals, pushing the ball out of the static objects and applying impulses.
Attachments
broad_phase.nes
(24.02 KiB) Downloaded 290 times